VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booth build - phase 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Booth build - phase 3 Reply with quote

This time around I managed to kidnap poor uncle handyman for an even longer visit. Here he is putting the finishing touches on the last hat channel...

And then we put up some drywall...

Here's a look at the wall frames, genie clips, channels, and drywall from the outside corner before we sealed things up from the outside as well. I kinda like this shot and think it's a nifty angle on the way it goes together...

And of course, the reason I was so reluctant to put up the last layer of outside-the-room drywall was that our frame had provided such a handy shelf space for tools, mugs, and whatnots that it was a shame to cover it up!

And finally, a shot of the child labourer who insisted on being the one to mess about with the green glue...

And with that, I had walls, glorious walls. Like a real bona fide room or something.

Hey! Is that the same crappy "temporary" particleboard table trying to sneak back into the room? Sheeesh!

Last edited by Foog on Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:48 am; edited 3 times in total
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, a bona fide room needs a door. Since my boothroom (TM) is built on a hobbit scale, we couldn't go with anything pre-cut and had to do it all ourselves. That means marking and routing the hinges..

Needless to say, the entire door escapade was a nightmare. I have one door blank cut too short in my garage now, quietly wrapped in plastic and the shame of failure in a corner. And the second door was an incredible pain to fit and was almost scrapped as well. I never did get around to taking many pictures. Probably for the best. The memories are bad enough without the visual reminders. But we did finally manage to get a door up and in place after a great deal of trial and error...

The door is solid wood core with heavy duty hinges, but it will need some additional work. It is definitely a weak link, compared to the walls. I'm thinking of adding a couple of layers of plywood or drywall to the inside (I prefer plywood for the wear factor, but I have green glue left over and figure it was designed for the density/properties of drywall, so still undecided here).

And since it had taken so horribly long and was so horribly horrible, by the time we finally got it installed we could barely muster a simple, single layer aluminum-framed weatherstripping seal.

The door's kinda-sorta all-rightish as is, but I can't wait to beef it up. A second seal will be added for whatever the second inside layer on the door ends up being. But for now, I'm going to let it all settle and creak and groan and find its happy place before adding another layer and perfecting the seal around it. (or at the very least wait until I can rope Uncle Handyman into one more visit to help me out!)

Still, even with only a semi-finished door the boothroom (TM) is finally taking shape. I am stoked I am!

Last edited by Foog on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, when I say the room is finally "taking shape", that shape may physically be a big box, but its true Platonic form is the shape of a submarine. That is to say, even with a "meh" door and seal, it is a hermetically sealed death chamber without ventilation. I'm getting a sweaty panic attack just thinking of it! So ventilate I must. And that means that after all that effort of putting together the frames, clips, hat channels, drywall, green glue, and more drywall to make a really nicely isolated room, I was going to mark and cut big stupid holes in it. Oh, the humanity!

Nooooooo!

Aw geeez! Not there too!

What I have right now is another temporary solution. Uncle Handyman was getting sick of my cooking (or was it my company?), so we wanted to wind this phase up so he could go back home like someone who had a life outside of my beck and call. The nerve!

For now I have insulated flexible ducting attached to a nice and overpriced Panasonic WhisperLine fan, on a power strip outside the room with a remote control on/off. Off when recording, on when editing/mixing. Uncle Handyman is back home building me a couple of baffle boxes (one for the intake side, one for the exhaust side). Once (errr, if?) he returns with them, we will hook them up with matching fans for intake and exhaust in the vain hope that it will be quiet enough to record with the fans actually on. Mind you, this grand plan was formulated before I discovered that I was such a priss that even the essentially sub-audible hum of a power conditioner was too much for my picky ears (see thread: http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17566 ), so I may end up having to stick with the remote on/off workflow even with the boxes in place. Don't tell Uncle Handyman, he'll kill me!

Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though poor Uncle Handyman has long returned home (and won't return my calls. Hmmm), phase three continues apace. There is still some acoustic sealing to touch up, drywall to mud and finish, etc etc. The nice thing is that in terms of keeping external sound out of the room, it is already orders of magnitude (well, subjectively if not actually mathematically) better than my old space. So we are most certainly over the hump, and every little thing I do now gives me some incremental improvement. Phew!

Alas, the one area where it is still worse than my previous set up is in internal treatment. My old "room" was little more than cloth-wrapped Roxul walls soaking up all the sound I produced and doing a poor job of pretending to mitigate external noise. My new, shiny, sweat-of-my-browbeating-of-my-poor-family (and own brow too!) boxy submarine of a room is... a very boomy boxy submarine of a room. It needs internal treatment something awful. And I am just the person to build something awful!

Here is the frame for one of two floor-to-ceiling bass traps...

They are filled with 16" squares of Roxul and covered up with cloth...

And live in the corners behind me...

I'm also making panels out of the stiffer Roxul rockboard material..

Here is a hook I made by screwing through the drywall into the hat channels overhead. It's for a panel, since 5'11" of clearance is so much more than anyone could possibly need. Naturally, I need to stick another panel over my mic position to make me feel truly cozy!

And finally, I have reconciled myself to forgoing the Chippendale furniture and will stick with my not-so-temporary particleboard desk. Mainly because it is fun to drill holes into it for cables and whatnot. Plus, I have no qualms about putting threaded rods through such a piece d'art, which will (I hope!) end up providing the frame for two more corner bass traps to go in front of me, with space for monitors below. Yay!

There's a ton of things left to do, and my sewing and carpentry skills still leave much to be desired. Still, it's with a great deal of relief that I attack every bit now that I am at the point where the boothroom (TM) is usable, far and away better than what I had to work with for years, and getting better every day.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: