VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neumann U47 reissue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:
Sounds good. How does it compare to your Brauner?

Couldn't be more different Rob. The Brauner is just outrageous - I love that mic! It's got a massive low end, smooth highs and the transformer gives it a character that's larger than life. And it's quiet - super quiet - and hugely detailed. The downside is that all that detail comes from a capsule that's extremely fast. So if you've got the slightest mouth noise or glitch it's going to capture it. Not a mic that's going to work for everyone, and it's not the most realistic sound, but that's just being picky. It's got a lot of love here.

Now the Neumann 47 FET is a very different beast. Remember these are initial impressions based on maybe 20 minutes of playtime yesterday; it's certainly darker, arguably much smoother and slower. - more forgiving perhaps. In some ways more honest and realistic especially in the high end, but then it's got this huge, characteristic Neumann mid-range hook thing going on.

I tried it briefly on Emma's voice and I can't wait to do some more tests with a pop shield and good positioning. Initial impression were that the highs sounded much more like Emma than a recording of Emma, if you get my drift? It's not as quiet as the Brauner but it's far from noisy.

The real test is to see how well things travel, stand up to processing and translate on speakers large and, crucially, small.

Honestly, there are so many great mics out there today. The 47 FET is just another shade of great, tone wise somewhere between the excellent U87 and the Brauner.

We're so lucky to have a fantastic choice of tools out there - often for very reasonable money and it's not necessary to shell out $4k plus get a very usable, perfectly respectable v/o in the can. The room is where the money counts most.

Colin
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the self noise/noise level on the U47? Is it not about 17db? Which is fair.

The 47 is a much darker mic than the Brauner, but when used at a bit of a distance (about 18 inches) it mellows out nicely. At least the original U47 FET did. The tube version is smoother throughout and works well almost anywhere in the sweet spot.

Glad you like the new toy, I cannot wait to hear more of Emma and you on the 47.

Frank F
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Honestly, there are so many great mics out there today. The 47 FET is just another shade of great, tone wise somewhere between the excellent U87 and the Brauner.

yeah, I think I'll just stick with my plain Jane U87ai
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Luvs me some Frank...

But, Colin just blew me away with his insights on these two mics, particularly his comments on the dynamics of the capsules.... And how they translate on monitors large and small. Very perceptive. Good ear, mate. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: