VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What We Have Is A Failure To Communicate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: What We Have Is A Failure To Communicate Reply with quote

The comments that accompanied the audition request included the following: "We're looking for a VO actor to deliver a read that is slow and natural, yet has gravitas and importance. Think more conversational in tone, as opposed to a typical radio or TV ad."
That's actually a pretty detailed description, so you'd think you had a pretty good idea of what he wanted.
Then, as an example, he posted a link to -- wait for it -- the Paul Harvey "God Made a Farmer" commercial. Explode
What could be more "natural" and "conversational" than that!
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't.....know.................what YOU are talking about.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What We Have Is A Failure To Communicate Reply with quote

Lee! I saw that one, too! I was all excited by the description and figured I'd take a stab at auditioning for it. Then I clicked the link for their example only to find the Paul Harvey bit. Then I deleted the audition. (then I wept for humanity)

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"and then, (pause)...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................(pause)........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................(pause)..................................................................................................................................................... God made the farmer."

And please do this in less than :30 seconds.

FF
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inevitably when you get a detailed directive, they are trying to describe a specific voice in their head, that they feel will work with their copy.. They interpret a Paul Harvey delivery to be conversational. Whatever

The other voice a lot of them hear in their heads is the guy doing the Chrysler/ Detroit spots. As soon as I hear "slightly raspy". I know exactly what they want
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that one too. I agree, Paul Harvey was great but he was the classic announcer. Though he was very good IMO at "conversational announcer"
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are looking for a storyteller. Someone in the moment and connected. When you see Paul Harvey, Kevin Yon(Chrysler), Clint Eastwood, and the like, they mean storyteller. Not to be confused with a narrator who guides the listener and connects the dots.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. What was confusing to me was that assuming they listened to the reference audio they posted, is that really the ****sound****that they wanted?

At any rate, my audition was more in line with their written description and not an attempt to emulate Paul Harvey.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to keep in your back pocket:

Announcer = To proclaim
Storyteller = To share an experience
Narrator = To guide

Each has its own style and skill set.

Also, Harvey was a storyteller whose medium was a radio broadcast, much like Garrison Keillor. No one would call either a disc jockey or an announcer.

And that's the rest of the story.
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Dan. Good definitions.

Last edited by Kim Fuller on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:
assuming they listened to the reference audio they posted, is that really the ****sound****that they wanted?

That was pretty much the point of my original post: not so much what they wanted, but the disconnect between their description of what they wanted and the example they provided.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:
is that really the ****sound****that they wanted?

Yes and no. Do they want you to move them emotionally the way they are when listening to Harvey tell the story? Yes. Do they want a Harvey sound alike? No.

This is one of those directions that separates the wheat from the chaff. If all you see is a conflict between the words conversational, non-announcer and a clip to a gentleman who had a radio show, (RADIO?! Radio means ANNOUNCER!!!), you will not get the job. If you can break down what they are asking for and get to the underlying emotional context they are trying to achieve, you just might have a shot.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disjunct in the instructions is not between "announcer" and "non announcer". It is between the example they provide (Harvey) and their stated goal of a "conversational" read. Sure, Paul Harvey doesn't have an "announcer" delivery. The problem is that he also doesn't have a "conversational" delivery. Hence the ole cognitive dissonance and weeping and gnashing of teeth over oxymoronic instructions.

Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a very conversational delivery given that he was addressing a large convention crowd when reading this piece. His connection with the script and to the farmers he was addressing is why it stands the test of time.

But that's not the point. You have to see the bigger picture with directions like these and when you do there isn't a problem, only the challenge of finding the voice of the writer/character within yourself.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Not about his connection to the script nor whether it stands the test of time. It's just that I hear it as a great example of oratory. To my mind part of what makes it a great read is that it sounds EXACTLY like he is addressing a large crowd. "Storyteller", sure, but still telling that story to a large audience. Kinda the opposite of "conversational". (but I'm probably just being obstinate in my nit picking. I can't think of a single example that combines talking to a crowd and being conversational, no matter how folksy and warm the delivery.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: