VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focusrite Forte or Audient id22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kookster
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Focusrite Forte or Audient id22 Reply with quote

Hi peeps.

Title says it all! I want something good to cover all bases without a long chain of pre amp, mixer etc. Must be able to mix minus for skype sessions, (plus either ipdtl or sc when I've got it setup). Just seen previous post about id22 skype setup using software so thats great, is that possible with Forte though?

Which would you choose!

Smile
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Forte but I think remember hearing that the pres are better on the Audient.
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: iD22 Reply with quote

Hei Kookster,

Can't really give any feedback regarding the Forte. I am sure it is a good interface. And I have to confess that I am prejudiced in favor of the iD22.

Disclaimer: Since I was one of the first to use it for VO they did story on me in one of their Blogs. But they do not pay me anything to promote their products. I just like it!

Have not tried to use it with SC or ipdtl. Perhaps Jason could give some feedback on that or you could ask the guys at Audient. I am sure they would be happy to answer those questions.

What you get in the iD22 are great mic pres, great converters, a great headphone amplifier, and software that is not too complicated. (And the customer service at Audient is top notch).

Here is a link to a review by George Whittam.

http://youtu.be/0UBf0pAAaYY

You really need people with the Forte to step up and share their side of the story.

Hope that helps.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I'm pretty biased myself. I love the iD22. I've never tried the Forte. I'm pretty sure you can't bypass the pre though. If that is the case, you can't use an external pre without the interface pre coloring it a bit.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Forte gives you a line level input or a mic input, and I'm pretty sure the line input bypasses the pre.

The pres on the Forte are OK, but then again I always prefer an outboard pre.

ONLY issue with the Forte is it sometimes goes offline when your computer goes to sleep. It's a simple fix of unplugging the Forte and then plugging it back in, but still irritating in a minor way.
Kookster
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaah you're stars! Thanks for your input everyone! I have been really tempted with the Forte I have to say...and I've found it online at a snip, it looks neat and portable and have read/watched nothing but good reviews all round on both really.

But....I do like the idea of being able to bypass the pre's should I wish to add something yummy into the mix in the future and the Audient just looks... well... solid. Yeh I know, its not all about looks Wink

I think I'm going to plump for the Audient, I also really like the look of the customisable software and great customer service is ALWAYS a bonus!

Anyone have a go-to online retailer? Smile
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a Focurite Tech on Slutz, the preamp is not completely bypassed, but most of it is Smile I doubt anyone could really hear the difference. I wouldn't make my decision based on that fact. I personally like the external knobs and hardware control. The software control/mixer is an added bonus.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kookster wrote:
I think I'm going to plump for the Audient, I also really like the look of the customisable software and great customer service is ALWAYS a bonus!

Anyone have a go-to online retailer? Smile
I got mine a mere week-and-a-bit ago, and am thrilled with it. And also floored by their customer service. Above and beyond the call, I'd say.

Being stuck in Canuckistan, I ended up buying mine from a Montreal outfit (karisma.ca ...a nice bunch of people and the best price in the great white north), but before I made the final decision I had some very prompt, informative, and helpful back-and-forth emailing with the folks at sweetwater.com

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iD22

georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of functions and user interface, the iD22 trounces the Duet or Forte. At sounds as good/better than the competition (say the 'slutz). It's a no-brainer.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kookster
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone, really looking forward to giving the ID22 a run for its money now!!.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really starting to dislike the Gear forum. You buggers cost me money on a regular basis. I'm feeling the love for the ID22, and as I'm getting a new iMac, I've decided to retire the Apogee Duet (yes, I know I can convert the Firewire to Thunderbolt, but where's the fun in that!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: