VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This Narration Will Self Destruct

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: This Narration Will Self Destruct Reply with quote

I'm not very objective, and wouldn't mind at all if you happen to be:

https://soundcloud.com/chrisvoco/secret-vault-test-001

It's fraudulent, but does it get a pass for okay talkage and productioning?

Aside from wishy-washy performance, I'm fighting sibilance, and have become *un*objective to the point that I can't decide whether it's there or I'm imagining it.

Thank you for your time and patient consideration in this matter.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has spent years down that rabbit hole (Hey Chris, I just got my lower implants finished last week! Proper teef in mah face for the first time in ages!! Yay me!), I can appreciate the loss of objectivity in fine-tooth-combing your audio for sibilance. And as someone eminently qualified by virtue of not being you, I can say with some degree of sorta objectivity that I hear no sibilance problems at all.

I also like the performance and production, but will admit to possibly being seduced by listening on my new studio monitors which are giving everything a "gee wow!" factor that my laptop speakers were lacking for some strange reason. And it's a soundcloud file, with their weird compression voodoo that they do do. So my opinion on production at the very least should be taken with a grain of salt. But salty or no - I liked it.

And yeah, sibilance not a worry I'd say.

vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 4 seconds in.. ".... CLOSELY guarded SECRETS...." are the only two words that caught my attention, and if I had not been listening because you asked for a sibilance watch... they would not have triggered me to say: "Boy... he ought to do something about that."

Remain vigilant... but don't be losing sleep over this this challenge.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your read quality is very good and the sibilance is very slight and well within normal limits. I wouldn't worry a tich about it.

A production technique if you'd like... your music bed has a percussion beat at :09 and a short tympani roll at :18. I say consider adjusting your narration as you edit to take advantage of those as dramatic emphasis points.

i.e. "Only five men on the face of the planet (beat) even know the combination." Think video production. An editor might show a snapshot of the five men on that beat, and your narration would automatically be more dramatic by allowing for that very short pause.

And, "thousands of tourists walk back and forth, right above it, (b-b-b-boom) unaware, that not only...." You don't even have to adjust the volume of the music if you're using a bit of compression. The percussion should come right through... subtle, but definitely there.

Small things, but I think a big help in presentation.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think of a purple Giraffe.

Please...don't even THINK of a purple Giraffe.

I didn't hear any sibilance. That is...until someone said... "Hey...listen for the sibilance." Sssssome wordssss just have that sssssound as part of how they are SUPPOSED to sound. I think you are doing great and should stop worrying about it.

As far as "wishy washy performance." My thoughts are the first Phrase was weak...and then you hit the right attitude and carried it all the way through. Great performance for the kind of read you were going for. It's like you got on a bicycle and were shaky to start...and then caught your stride and then rode like a pro.

The first phrase ending with "mankind" ...IMHO...you seemed less "certain" in attitude. But ...after that it was "golden."

Of course..only my opinion... which you can take to any bank in the country...and they will just look at you like you are stupid and simply REFUSE to cash it.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to each of you - I do appreciate your time spent listening and your thoughts.
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But WAIT! There's... meh. I think I assimilated the suggestions - hitting the bed's beats better, and perhaps putting more consistent attitude into the opening line. I then ruined the whole thing by slapping a couple other clips on the end and affixing it all here:

https://soundcloud.com/chrisvoco/narration-demo-chris-vournazos

Thanks again.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now both tracks go nowhere so either you below them up or you broke the internet.

Again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chrisvoco
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I broke the internet. Deliberately. Again. I get so annoyed with the thing.

No, I thought everyone had forgotten about this thread and gone away, and I diddled the name of the file and blah blah blah so it's:

https://soundcloud.com/chrisvoco/chrisvournazos-narrationdemo
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Like it Reply with quote

Hei Chris,

I like the demo, especially the first spot. However, IMHO* the second spot has a very similar tone to the first one. My only suggestion would be to find something a little different for spot no. 2 Smile

* my opinion is worth the equivalent of a pat on the back. 2 pats in some parts of the world.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: