VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First time I've heard about the USB length limit. Interesti

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterWhiteVoices

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: First time I've heard about the USB length limit. Interesti Reply with quote

First time I've heard about the USB length limit. Interesting.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most things on the technical/engineering side are not quite as finite and "hard-wall" as the specs say, but flaunt the specs and you may be disappointed. My memory is that USB specs quote a metric limit: 5 meters which translates to 15 feet (16 is you hold your breath). That means that manufacturers trying to work on the cheap are going to do the least they have to barely meet that spec.

I don't know which part of our conversations caught you by surprise but the one that recently caught me is that some of the USB audio interfaces clearly state in their instructions: "You should NOT use a USB cable longer than FIVE FEET. You should NOT use a USB cable other than the one WE send you."

I'm still playing with this one. There appear to be two issues to consider when using a USB analog-to-digital device in your audio chain: (1) What is the length limit before you audio goes bad. I record "naked". (Get your attention? Sarcastic ) NO HEADPHONES. I do not monitor myself during the recording session. I only want to know what I can get away with to keep my computer away from my microphone. Latency is not in my vocabulary.
(2) The longer your cable.... apparently the bigger your latency problem. If you record v-o fully dressed (wearing headphones cool ) then you want to know how long the cable can be before what is in your ear is out of synch with what you are speaking. The people who record musicians jolly well do worry about latency so they can keep all the musicians synchronized.

For v-o, putting your computer in the next room to silence it mechanically gets to be very problematic if you only have five feet of cable to play with.

I read NOTHING where anyone discusses using the boosters or extenders for longer USB connection in an audio chain.
PeterWhiteVoices

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am naked as a jaybird when I'm recording. My days of AM/FM DJ are far, far behind me Embarrassed

I was actually responding in a different thread, but must have started a new topic instead. I know that some manufacturers (read:Apple) have a USB standard for performance which must be met by their suppliers to be certified, and length must be related to that performance.

My Scarlett is right next to the tower, so I am not using an absurdly long cord. Even so, my latentcy is about 22ms. Slight irritating delay when making sound effects on my keyboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: