VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build Your Own Diffuser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Build Your Own Diffuser Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHTmNyo_0O0

I've seen them in pro studios and always thought these "skyline" diffusers looked really cool. You can buy them but they are all $500-$5000.

Found this today, build your own with a saw, some sand paper and $30 worth of wood. Looks pretty simple really.

Possibly overkill for a home VO setup but a fun weekend project and they look pretty damn spiffy.

Anyone using diffusion in their studio? Does it make any difference more than basic treatment or just look cool?

I'll report back how it goes..

Happy New Year!

DC
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Great to have the calculator Reply with quote

I'm like you... they look kind of neat whether they actually get the job done or not. I knew from previous reading that you don't just throw a bunch of random wood pieces out there and expect GOOD results.

But how do you KNOW what the pattern should be? I shall play with the calculator.

I have a neighbor here in the woods of North Georgia who cuts fire wood to go in peoples fireplaces. Imagine a wall covered with firewood instead of little "skyscrapers". (Oooops: my wife just informed me: "Don't even THINK about it!")
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although they look nice and funky, is it right for your space? Diffusers have a specific use; to break up transients. Listen to your space before making the time investment in creating this type of diffuser.

Another option to consider is slot diffuser or resonator called a Helmholtz resonator. Very easy to create (in some versions) and looks very nice.

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. If it sounds too bad I suppose it would look pretty cool in the living room.

What are the conditions that might make a diffuser is necessary or beneficial in a VO studio?

There's lots of info that applies to music recording but not much specific to voice recording.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think (this is just my thought though) that it would not be beneficial until you reach a certain size of room. Like over a certain dimension then you can start tuning the room to have "good" reflections. If used in a small booth, it would probably just make the room too reflective and boxy.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do you need room treatment as a VO? Every time you open you mic and your mouth.

The size of room does not matter. Every room needs to be treated somehow. When do you need or want a diffuser? Usually only when you have a larger area with multiple 90 degree angles or numerous reflective surfaces.

The information which deals with music also deals with VO. The difference is the volume. Ten voices is a room do not equal the volume of ten trumpets (although some VO folks may want to try).

FF
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a 14x10 space. Had a booth for a while but got too claustrophobic for me.

Not sure if that qualifies as a large enough space for diffusion or not? Do you think it would hurt my audio, provided it was in a well treated room?

Even if it ends up in my living room, it looks like a good excuse to sit around in the garage and play with my tools.

I'll post some pics when I get it done and some audio with and without.

Happy New Year folks!

DC
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock yourself out and have some fun. Will a diffuser hurt? Not necessarily. Will it help? Not necessarily.

Enjoy the build, I always do. When you are finished you will have a work of art.

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: