VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Droid Maxx?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Droid Maxx? Reply with quote

Anyone know if the Droid Maxx (that specific phone as opposed to others in the Droid line) is compatible with the Audio Evolution and USB Audio Recorder Pro apps?

And also, I'm not clear if an interface is needed between mic and phone (in addition to OTG cord) ...If so, any recommendations? Looks like MicPort Pro doesn't play perfectly well with those apps (the documentation says it doesn't support playback and recording at same time, and needs a powered hub..the latter pretty much defeats the portability aspect of all this)

Thanks in advance.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Droid Maxx? Reply with quote

ballenberg wrote:
Anyone know if the Droid Maxx (that specific phone as opposed to others in the Droid line) is compatible with the Audio Evolution and USB Audio Recorder Pro apps?

If you haven't been to the website http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/ go there and look at the list of compatible and non-compatible devices. They do list the Motorola Razr HD Maxx as a compatible Droid.

When you ask "is anything needed between the mid and the OTG.... " that depends on your mic: Are you talking about a plain XLR conected mic or a USB mic? Yes, you need some kind of device that turns your analog mic into a USB diigital signal. The web site I listed above will also list USB devices that are and are not compatible.

Give us more specifics on what you have, and be more specific about your needs for playback at the same time". If your USB device supports a headset to listen to the signal that is being digitized and sent to your computer(droid in this case), is there a reason you need headphone to monitor a live playback from the computer rather than the live output of the USB converter?

I am a newbie at this Droid-as-recorder thing, but have received some great help from people here in the forum. To be af real help, we kind of need for your questions to "stand up naked.... warts and all."
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill...

Although the Droid Maxx doesn't show up on the compatibility list for the apps, it apparently does support USB Host Mode, so it should work. The lists are built from the developer's direct experience with individual users, so I suspect he's not had a Droid Maxx user yet. If you do try it, please share your experience with Davy, so he can update the list for others.

As for the mic question, any USB mic will connect directly to the OTG cable. Otherwise, you'll want to use an interface. I do.

I've never used a USB mic, so I can't speak to which might be better.... Though others here have, and may be able to chime in about their own experiences.

As for portability, I don't find myself recording on street corners, so it's not such an issue for me. I'm able to fit my tablet, an interface, and my shotgun in the pocket of a small backpack or Carry-on with no trouble, though the TSA does occasionally get curious.

As a side note, I just replaced my trusty Moto Xoom with a shiny new uber tablet and will soon be putting the Xoom up for sale. Dual core, 1g ram, 32g storage, 10in Gorilla Glass screen, and works great with the above mentioned apps. Interested parties feel free to pm me.

Anyone else with questions about the apps or Android recording should feel free to reach out as well. Ninja
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vernon and Don--Not sure about the naked part, but I just want to record and playback what I've recorded so I can edit and send off the files. USB mic may be okay and I've got one..Otherwise, I have a MicPort Pro but as noted, it's not the app's favorite. For the most part, this would be mainly for auditions, as least as I see it now, when I want to be traveling super light and not schlepping much of anything. I have a road kit I'm fine with, but sometimes i don 't want or need that..just something quick and light. I figured the same as you, Don, about the compatibility, but since I don't have the phone yet, I'd like to be sure it works before i get it..rather than my usual technique of finding out when it's too late Smile
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vernon and Don--Not sure about the naked part, but I just want to record and playback what I've recorded so I can edit and send off the files. USB mic may be okay and I've got one..Otherwise, I have a MicPort Pro but as noted, it's not the app's favorite. For the most part, this would be mainly for auditions, as least as I see it now, when I want to be traveling super light and not schlepping much of anything. I have a road kit I'm fine with, but sometimes i don 't want or need that..just something quick and light. I figured the same as you, Don, about the compatibility, but since I don't have the phone yet, I'd like to be sure it works before i get it..rather than my usual technique of finding out when it's too late Smile
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the LG G3 is on the list, I freekin' LOVE this phablet! Amazing camera, super fast, 3GB RAM, killer Quad HD screen, and Amazon gave it to me for .01 plus CA Sales Tax on the non-subsidized price and renewal of Verizon 2-year.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill....

If you don't yet have the phone, why not go whole hog?

Skip the Maxx.... Although a fine phone, last gen, if not entering grampa status.... If you like Moto, go for the latest Moto X, with 32gb. Sign the 2yr, and assign it to your biz as a legitimate expense, and write it off.

Enjoy the latest gen hardware, software, and tax write-off status on a larger screen with more powerful processor, storage, memory and network.

Unlike George, my advice is free.... And worth every penny you paid for it.... Which is not to imply that George's advice is not worth every penny you pay for it, but rather that mine is free, which George's is not, unless, of course he offers it here, where, obviously he can't invoice it, therefore it must be free, except where prior contracts are in force, so, uh....

What were we talking bout? Embarrassed
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys..plenty pf good advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: