VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lavalier Recommendations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Lavalier Recommendations? Reply with quote

An author friend was just asked by his publisher if he could produce a YouTube video to accompany the magazine article he's writing. He's looking for a decent wireless lapel mic that he can use to shoot his how-to videos. He doesn't want to spend more than he has to, but he doesn't want crap, either. And I assume there will be times during the shoot that he will be operating power tools (i.e. table saw, band saw, etc). He mentioned that his Nikon camera (the one he normally uses to shoot still photos for his books and magazine articles) shoots HD video and has an input for an external mic.

I have no experience with this type of mic, so I'm calling upon the collective wisdom of this group for any recommendations you may have.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on ebay at "headworn microphones". These are usually the better choice over a lavalier as they do not get clothing noise and you are never off axis.

Add a wireless setup (cheap) and you are on your way to shooting without a lot of audio expense.

Frank F
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest wave in 2.4 ghz digital wireless systems are supposed to be pretty amazing for the price. I still have one Sennheiser G2 wireless system, state of the art 10 years ago, $600 system though (cheap in wireless terms).

This one looks amazing (saw it at NAMM, too):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1060929-REG/audio_technica_atw_1701_l_system_10_digtal_wireless.html

And this will be awesome, too:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115091-REG/rode_rodlnk_fm_rodelink_wireless_filmmaker_kit.html

For noisy environments, definitely go head worn, though. Countryman C6 or similar.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had good experiences with a previous generation of the AT system george linked to. the hotshoe mount is super-handy.

as a side note --- if he's looking on ebay or craigslist - keep in mind that in 2010 the FCC switched frequencies for "public safety" and banned other wireless mics in the 700 MHZ range --- at the time (maybe still) there were a LOT of systems on the used market in that range. it's not legal to sell them, but ...

heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it's not legal to sell them, but ...

They're everywhere.

Caveat emptor.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my friend has decided to go with an Audio-Technica W88-829 for around $125.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent several years in supervising and operating house-of-worship sound systems and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly in such mic systems. I live out here in the dead-zone where we don't know if we are city (as in Atlanta) or if we are in the wilderness (as in Appalachian Trail). For a little country church out here in the foothills just wanting to mic the pastor (no 'dancing gospel babes' doing production numbers Laugh ) I would give the Audio-Technica W88-829 a try.

If your friend is going to do all his YouTube shoots at his home and he is pretty sure there is not a heavy amount of RF interference present, he has the probability of getting very good results.

Here is the rub with the low dollar units. They use consumer electronics connectors to join the mic to the transmitter. When you get to the $400 to $500 dollar units that are used both by the houses of worship and the entertainment industry, you get into a miniature 4-pin version of a midget XLR plug and now you can switch various brands and styles of mics with your basic transmitter.

If you will take the time to watch some of the TED TALKS you might note that they are using the almost invisible ear-mounted mics. Those things are night-and-day superior to lavalier mics when it comes to what we commonly refer to in these discussions as "noise floor".

I might be worth the time to call around to a few of the large "production style" churches in his neighborhood to see if they are doing an upgrade and might have some slightly older sets they are ready to sell. Just make sure they are not trying to foist off one of the now illegal channel units.

If you can get one of the units with the (almost) standardized mic inputs, even if it comes with a lavaliere mic as part of the transaction, there are some ear-mounted mics in the $100 range. (Don't be shocked when you call Sweetwater, Full Compass, B&H or similar vendor and they want to sell you a $600 microphone to go with your $80 transmitter. I own a little A-T over the ear mic that was just over $100.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I sent him George's links, my friend has had a change of heart and is leaning away from the cheaper VHF units and toward an A-T or Sennheiser 2.4 GHz model in the $600 range.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
After I sent him George's links, my friend has had a change of heart and is leaning away from the cheaper VHF units and toward an A-T or Sennheiser 2.4 GHz model in the $600 range.

That may turn out to be an excellent choice. (Easy to say when it's HIS money we are spending... not mine!) With a couple of well chosen cables and adapters, if your friend ends up also making public appearances as well as recording the YouTube type things, in some venues he can show up with his own wireless mic system and be very, very comfortable and relaxed in making live presentations.

I understand that many locations are NOT going to allow you to bring in your own equipment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: