VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microphone Test Heaven

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Microphone Test Heaven Reply with quote

Greetings from a sunny warm New Zealand summer

Just came across this. Many of your favourite mics with male or female vo examples.

http://bradfordswanson.com/mic/listen.html

Interesting that the AKG 414 pops up on VO-BB very little. Anyone had experience with it??

Happy listening.
Cheers
Peter
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: AKG 414 Reply with quote

Have used the 414 a lot. One of the top studios in Helsinki has used it for at least 20 years. They are now, however, in the process of finding an alternative.

We did some testing with some various mics, including a modified Rode NT1-A, the new Rode NT1, and a U87. (They are also checking out the CAD e100s).

They like the 414 but one of the engineers said that after listening to some of these other mics, the 414 sounds almost muddy in comparison.

It is a good solid mic, with low self-noise, but nothing to get too excited about.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a couple of studios in Phoenix I used to frequent that used the 414 and I didn't like it, for me anyway. Too thin and crispy for my voice. Come to think of it I haven't seen one or heard mention in years.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Bruce in these samples it doesn't sound thin, well not on this guy anyway, then there's the 414 xls vs the brighter 414 xlii. There's many versions of this mic in use around the world. Its alway referred to being an accurate reference mic.

Scott did you send back the CAD e100s and keep the 416?

Cheers
Peter
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My demos were made on a 414, you can find em at dailyvo.com, if you're interested.

From what I've read, it's still very popular in Europe, although you're right, I haven't heard much buzz about it in a while.

BTW, Scott, after our talk, I found the NT1 kit here in Japan for a pittance of $220 USD. I certainly don't NEED it, but still....
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're great demo's Sean, I love the sound of that mic. What model 414 was it? was it in cardioid or hyper??
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, voxman! I believe it was the xlii, in cardio. I'll message the engineer to make sure.

Warmest Regards,

Sean
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard back from him! Here's what he said:

"It's the akg c-414 b uls. I use the cardioid setting with no roll off... and then run it through a Chameleon Labs 7602 Mark II."

Hope that helps someone in their potential purchase decision. Have a great weekend, everybody!

Warmest Regards,

Sean
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 414 ULS B is a classic and I remember using it in the early 70's. this was before any of the local studios had purchased U-87's. It still has characht3er which is ideal for a lot of great VO projects. Once the U-87 arrived and I had my opportunity to use one, I was in love. Three years later I had saved my pennies and bought my first "real" microphone and you can guess what it was. The AKG 414 ULS B. Next was the U-87 Classic.

Great choice on the pre-amp for the 414. choosing the right pre-amp with most microphones makes the differences between good sound and stunning sound.

Frank F
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, you must be telepathic, because I really wanted your guy's input on the Chameleon. It's an amazingly priced pre, but not one you hear about too often. I've had my eye on it since we recorded with it over a year a go. Thank you so much for weighing in.

Warmest Regards,

Sean
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage sound. Processed properly, a diamond in the ruff.... Wink

And that lovely little piece of rack candy... (For those of us who worship at the altar of Sir Rupert, a damn fine piece of analog kit. )
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the upgrades were made on the Chameleon Labs 7602 Mark II from Zen Pro Audio? New Carnhill transformers, etc.? If so, that is one sweet hunk of pre.

The Chameleon Labs 7602 Mark II are not something most VO's would find in their ballpark. Designed originally and primarily for live venues these pre-amps contain very nice smooth color. yet are at home in many full service studios. I had a rack of the 7602's which I used when mixing live venue concerts in big arenas.

Today the Maag Audio PreQ4 and EQ2's are more in line with what creates the wide fresh sound for big venue events and yet the 7602's are still viable.

Frank F
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get time next week I'll post some clips of my 414EB vs a U87.
Voxman
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colin, that would be great....
Peter
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love 414s, esp. the B-ULS. The only reason I chose the U87ai over it is because on my voice the U87 has that forward mid-range whereas to my ear the 414 is true-er across the spectrum.

But for putting my voice front and center without me having to yell, the U87 seems to do a better job. YMMV

I'm not criticizing the 414 at all. DC Douglas uses one with lots of success and Sean seems to as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: