VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ever so swift Mic Shootout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not what I do (offer services). George is who I suggest to others also.

My first suggestion however would be to find another area to record inside. The closet is not going to be easy to make sound resistant and sound good. A bedroom with a desk and some heavy curtains would be better than where you are.

You need to explore the world of microphones as much as possible. Do you get into the states at all or know someone who does? Do you know other VO talent locally or studios who/which would let you listen to yourself on their mics? This is great way to introduce yourself and get to know the terrain as well as which microphones sound good for you.

There are so many choices for microphones I could make a myriad of suggestions and one may work for you. Due to your studio location and the closeness of confined area, I might suggest you look into a dynamic microphone: a Behringer XM 8500 is not a bad (very) cheap mic (around $20 USD) and sounds good, an EV RE-20 is priced around $400 USD usually, an * Heil PR40 ($370 USD with all the toys at BSW USA) always sounds good, an MXL BCD-1 is a reasonable choice also.

What are other local talent using? Why? Where did they get their microphones? How much? Do your research BEFORE contacting George, it will help you both.

Frank F

* Great mic and one of my favorites. The PR-40 would be nearly perfect for you if you find a larger room to record in.
Adric83
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attempt to try and treat a corner of my room, it's a very small studio apartment, so there's no other rooms to speak of.

I also know a couple of the engineers at the local studios, so that's a very good idea, Frank, I'll see if any of them are willing to let me test some stuff out.

The Rode NTG-3 was actually a mic a local talent (Matto from this forum!) uses but his setup is a bit different to mine, and probably doesn't suffer from the boxiness. I'll keep trying mics and working with the limitations I have until my circumstances allow otherwise.

I appreciate the advice though, and the mic suggestions.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of friends in Tokyo, Japan who have similar small apartments. And after traveling to Iceland, I really understand what small means.

Don't be afraid to ask to try a studios microphones. What can they say? No? If you don't ask, you don't get!

With that thought, the idea is to adjust to your circumstances. Try moving your "studio" into a desk or table where you can treat the wall behind the mic with foam or other audio isolator. Creating a couple of gobo's which you can slide against the wall when not used for recording can help widen you "booth" into a usable area and keep extraneous sound down.

A wider feel in the "in" sound today so this might be just what you need. If you are able to find a dynamic mic - try it out, you might like it as the dynamic will give isolation and seeming hyper-cardioid response in an larger open room (and they are great for traveling).

Good luck.

Oh, I love Victoria and the lower parts of Vancouver Island, BC. Vancouver, the city, I have been the sound guy for films in the area many times. Also spent some time in Whistler before the Olympics consulting with network audio people.

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: