VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I made lemonade yesterday.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: I made lemonade yesterday. Reply with quote

We have this folksy bit of advice which says: When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade. Well yesterday I made a pitcher of "audio lemonade".

Our winter weather in North Georgia is pretty bland compared to what many of you are experiencing, but we had a doozy (by our standards) night before last. I losrt power at 10:30 Monday night and it came back on at 2:30 Tuesday afternoon, and I am among the luck. Thousands are hoping they get power back here on Wednesday.

As I sat here in my boredom, I realized I had a chance to capture a "laboratory standard audio speciman". I went into the studio with my Android phone, and plugged in my USB audio chain. (the power of the phone battery will power the Presonus unit.) I made a recording speaking at the pace and volume I would usually do in a book narration. I left three significant pauses so my software could measure and analyze the "silence". When the power came back on, I went in and did the same thing... after I turned off EVERYTHING that can be turned off. I wanted to know if my house has any ability to generate noise even when the power is off.

As one final test last night, I made a recording using my Audient (which requires external power in addition to the USB circuit) but also using the Andorid rather than my Windows computer. Same reading three times. The combination of ambient room-tone plus internal mic noise is -59 dB below "program content level".

So, on a normal day of recording, if the noise level is that low or close to it, don't go fighting windmills... the original recording is as good as it is going to get. Anything better than that will be created in the software process.

Weather footnote: Our problem was 1/2 inch of ice on power lines, on trees, on anything standing still. Lady at the power company told me that she has worked there 25 years and it has been a long, long time since we had one anything this bad. I trimmed a lot of low branches off all my trees last fall. Then I had the pro come in and take out four trees beyond my skill-set after I had taken out 3 or 4 smaller ones. But this morning I have half a dozen significant pine limbs (3 and 4 inches in diameter) laying in my yard and one 40 foot Water Oak cracked and bent double like a little twig. Now if I can remember where I hid my chainsaw!!!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! you WERE bored! also - neat experiment. i wish i were closer --- i love to chainsaw! i might get my chance - they are forecasting ice for this weekend!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: