VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first mic shootout
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this contribution to the conversation is almost a "thread-jack". We have another topic going currently about when to shape a process a recording.

So... is the ID22 simply an "honest broker" while other pre-amps tend to give members of the industry what designers know we want our voices to sound like? I once had a mentor tell me that "some times you are too honest for your own good." Maybe if he were around today, that would be his description of some of the better gear we have to choose from.

You have received some good observations on your recordings by the others and I don't have anything to add to those comments other than: I didn't expect the mics and audio chain that you revealed. Something doesn't add up.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope everyone will indulge me in one last comparison. This time it is a cleaner comparison. I used the same basic set up: both mics recording the same audio at once. But this time I didn't fumble about with an HPF post-recording (and didn't forget to turn off the HPF on the CAD). The only thing I did was normalize both tracks so that the volumes would be equal, and that's it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uag77oicat5z8uz/Sopron_sample.wav?dl=0

No "gotchas" here - I used the same order... CAD then Rodes. It may be the fact that I am not running two different HPF's this time, or the fact that I seem to have physically positioned myself a little closer to the Rode, but I think the difference is less intense. Still there, and still (to my not-finely-tuned ears) slanting in favour of the CAD. But it seems the Rode acquits itself better this time around.

Am I right, or is it wishful thinking?

FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Toss-up! Reply with quote

Somebody get me a coin !

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't listened to the most recent files yet, but regarding pre-amps, there's a reason that most professional studios use outboard pres.....a good outboard pre does bring something to the party, not necessarily adding to the signal but enriching it in a harmonically pleasing way.

Based on the price, I would think the ID22 pres should be very good. That being said the slightly lower-end interfaces that I have owned (MOTU Ultralite, Apogee Duet, Focusrite Forte) have built in pres that are accurate but for me but also a little too clinical.
chuckweis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foog wrote:
But it seems the Rode acquits itself better this time around.

Not really to my ears. I suppose if there was nothing to directly compare it to, the Rode would sound okay, but in this instance, the Cad is the clear winner.
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All samples posted sound boomy & bassy with poor articulation, not you the mic/space.

If I was producing your stuff, I would have to do a big bass roll-off, and pump up the highs from 5k-12k.

What are you using to monitor your tracks on playback? If you get your listening monitors right, you'll get your sound right.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mic 1. Go with the CAD.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Campbell wrote:
If I was producing your stuff, I would have to do a big bass roll-off, and pump up the highs from 5k-12k.

What are you using to monitor your tracks on playback? If you get your listening monitors right, you'll get your sound right.
I've been using a (new) pair of Adam F5 monitors for the most part. But that last test was entirely unmonitored and untouched, it was! I got flack for mucking about with the audio in my first round, so this last time was as raw as raw can be. And alas, my space is tiny and boomy.

As a general rule, (well, for the past year or so that is), I don't send anything out without doing an HPF on it.

As loathe as I am to send anything out without an HPF, I am also terrified of putting too much processing on files. But I am game to try things out, especially when suggested by more educated ears than mine (did I mention "blocks of wood" yet?) What would you suggest on the highs? Everything up a couple dB from 5k - 12k ,or something more, errr, varied? I'm happy to tinker, at least with auditions if not with working files.

Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 what Bill said. Boomy yes. Environment or perhaps you may be addressing the mics too close or head on?

The CAD is sounding better than before with the HPF off and if I had to choose only between the two I would favor the CAD.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: