VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would love some feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadDillo
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Would love some feedback Reply with quote

Its been a major overhaul and is leaps and bounds over what I had originally, but I'd love some feedback on my website.

www.marleyaudio.com

Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks very much.
Fran McClellan
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I really like the clean look and ease of navigation. The only question I thought of when viewing it was, why are the video samples on a separate page instead of being featured on the front page? There are some extras on the front page that aren't really needed, IMHO, but if you really wanted to keep them, maybe put them on a separate page and move the vids to page 1.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, looks clean and the information is easy to find... these are all good things. I actually like the videos on another page... but maybe one on the front to draw people's attention.

Just one thing I don't like... the equipment. Basically, no one cares. If they don't know about equipment, it's techno-babble. If they do know equipment (although it's all perfectly serviceable equipment) it's not a u87. There is no up-side to showing the equipment list on the front page.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts which you can totally ignore:

Look at your site with the eyes of a 60 year old pro who's been there, done that. He doesn't care about peripheral information. The first two things on his list when he comes to your site: he wants to hear your voice and if you interest him we wants to know how to contact you. Further down his list are who you've worked for, and maybe customer quotes. He knows what kind of work you do because your demo titles say so. Everything else is superfluous to him, as in Facebook, Twitter, studio equipment, who you've trained with, etc.

Look at your site with the eyes of a 26 year old junior executive who's in a hurry to get demos to his boss(es). He wants to listen, maybe download a demo if you're OK in his ears (what, no download capability?) and get your basic contact info. If he has time, if he wants to establish a rapport with you later, he might check out your social media sites. Most of the rest of that stuff means nothing to him.

The World Voices logo means nothing to anyone who isn't a member and gone through the hoops to get there, and it's the first thing most people will see on your site. Ship it South.

What I'm suggesting is your demos should be to the left side of the page where people look first and made even clearer to read, and your contact info should be much bigger and easier to find and level with your demos on the right side. Everything else below should be trimmed or removed. Cut your client list to the most impressive sounding names. Drop equipment and studio descriptions... sorry, but no one besides you really cares. Move the social media bugs down the way. Same with WOVO.

Maybe one clear branding statement near the top or in a box where people can see it near your demos and contact info. I like "From warm, friendly and cheerful, to powerful, dark and evil", and "Five star service: on time, every time" is OK, but it sounds more like you're a car repairman as opposed to being an artist with your voice.

If you trim all the unnecessary stuff you'll have room to put a couple of videos on the same page, such as the Air BnB and the Stampede one. Cool, and much more important stuff.

Well, you asked.

Go get 'em Dillo.... Rob.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce speaks words of wisdom. It's funny, but every time I see a web page put up for critique, I always take another hard look at mine. What do people really want to see? ... and what is just misguided fluff from our own egos to make ourselves more "interesting"?

I need to completely re-do my client list... all my "big" names are absent. I put the gif together a couple of years ago and it does me no favours.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce for Mayor!
samowry
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Bruce WAS Mayor?
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Bruce on all!!!!
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samowry wrote:
I thought Bruce WAS Mayor?

Well then...Bruce for Mayor AGAIN!!! And banish all term limits!!!
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The votes are counted. Mayor Bruce it is!!!

greg@gregorybest.com
Dave DeAndrea
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth... I dig the way each box looks like it curves up at the bottom and there's a shadow. Very subtle... not distracting. And I like the wraparound effect on the toolbar tabs.

Don't know if it'll get you any gigs, but they were things I noticed and said, "That's kinda cool." Smile
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bruce said Smile

To piggyback on the studio stuff, anyone who DOES care about what you have in the studio will be unimpressed by a Rode mic and basic interface. If you had some iconic gear that everyone knows (U87, Avalan 737, etc.) then it might be worth noting, but I say let'em guess if it sounds good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: