VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adobe Audition
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link and thoughts, everyone!

I`m interested in Audition, but I already have twisted wave and Izotope RX4 on my mac. Is there any advantage to having AA instead of (or in addition to.) these two?

Warmest Regards,

Sean
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us what you are wanting to do that you cannot do with the software you have.

I use Audition. I sometimes wonder if something wonderful would happen in my life if I had one or more of the other programs that some of the rest of you talk about. So far, the answer is no.

I need to acquire the ability to TALK better. Learn to EDIT better? Not so much.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said (does that count? Wink
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Big Thanks! Reply with quote

Got it !

Laugh Laugh Laugh

If you want to use multitrack editing this is a great program. It has some great effects if you need them. If you don't need these things stay with what you got.

As for me I'm happy Laugh

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adobe Audition is excellent. But – Audition or not – relying on "de-clickers" to get rid of mouth clicks (I'm assuming that's the issue) may not work very well.

I truly believe the de-clicker effects in audio software is designed to eliminate clicks from audio files of digitized vinyl records. The sound of a needle encountering a small imperfection in the vinyl is going to be different than the sound of a mouth click, but both types of these noises will never be exactly the same each time. So it's entirely a hit-or-miss proposition. A de-clicker effect may get some, but not all mouth clicks. And, the possibility exists (depending on exactly how the de-clicker works) that it may also remove some desired characteristics of your voice.

In one way or another, there is always a price to pay for convenience. Smile

Last edited by Mike Harrison on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the best way to get rid of mouth noises and clicks in Adobe Audition is by using the Spectral view. You'll be able to see the clicks as a lighter color, then you can use the "spot healing brush tool" to erase the clicks without affecting the surrounding audio. This feature is available on the later versions of the software.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point about de-clickers... or automated processes in general. They can take a broad swipe at the problem and while clearing up some/most of the issues, can add a whole bunch of their own. I tend to use them after saving a master copy and then reviewing the whole file for any "artifacts" that may be left.

With AA, far more useful to me is the ability to surgically remove the egregious clicks manually with AutoHeal. I try to avoid automated processes whenever possible. As with all things, we strive not to have the problems in the first place (and I'm lucky enough never to have had to remove noise)... but those occasional clicks and bangs get through. Sneaky little buggers!
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After posting, I realized I'd forgotten that de-clicker effects were designed for vinyl record transfers, so I edited my post and removed material that both John and Peter had referred to in the meantime.

A lot of removal or reduction processes work by phase reversal, much the same way as does the "vocal elimination" effect for removing the lead singer's voice from a stereo song (on a mono song, it'll remove everything). So, if the frequencies of the sound you're trying to get rid of are also present (perhaps even prominent) in your voice, those frequencies in your voice will also be removed.

I do what John and Peter do: use Audition's spectral view and/or the spot healing brush. Yes, it's time consuming, but what gets removed is only what you want to remove, and not what software THINKS you want to remove (but you really don't).

Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clarification on Audition's spectral display from Adobe:

Quote:
About the spectral display

The spectral display shows a waveform by its frequency components, where the x‑axis (horizontal ruler) measures time and the y‑axis (vertical ruler) measures frequency. This view lets you analyze audio data to see which frequencies are most prevalent. Brighter colors represent greater amplitude components. Colors range from dark blue (low‑amplitude frequencies) to bright yellow (high‑amplitude frequencies).

The spectral display is perfect for removing unwanted sounds, such as coughs and other artifacts.

So, bright yellow indicates a very loud sound, not it's frequency. So, mouth clicks are not always yellow. You will note that much of the lower frequencies (nearest the bottom of the display) are also yellow/orange, because these are the frequencies with the highest amplitude (loudness) in our voices. Wink

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much more sophisticated the click removal process has become in Audition since the Cool Edit days, but I've tried the Cool Edit version with both vinyl record clicks and mouth clicks and it works pretty much equally well with both, which is to say, it sort of works but doesn't get everything.

CE doesn't have auto-heal but it's still pretty easy to isolate clicks in spectral view. The good news about clicks (either vinyl or mouth) is, each one is generally confined to a single sine wave cycle, so in the absence of auto-heal, erasing the entire cycle is not likely to be noticeable to the ear or of sufficient duration to throw off any sort of timing. You just have to make sure you erase one complete cycle (peak-to-peak, trough-to-trough, or some other spot on the wave to the same location on the next wave). You may have to switch back from spectral to waveform view to confirm you are not deleting a partial wave.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: