VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feedback on New Old Demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny Toy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Feedback on New Old Demo Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Tried unsuccessfully to post this earlier. Will try again... I would very much appreciate your input, feedback, criticism of this demo. Mostly older work culled from both analogue and digital masters. Would love to know if it sounds dated, competitive, in the ball park, horrific - you name it, as I re-enter this world. My hope is to use it until I can update it with newer work and ultimately categorize separate links by genre...commercials, promos, industrial, etc. Would rather hear the truth from you guys now, than get ripped out there later, (which will no-doubt happen anyway.) Can't thank you enough. I can take it, so please let it rip. THANK YOU!
D

Thanks to your guidance...here's the new version. Thank you!!
https://soundcloud.com/toy-22/danny-toy-voice-demo
[/url]

Last edited by Danny Toy on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not terribly dated. I would however suggest dropping the very first clip (too local sounding) and the character bits toward the end. That'll bring you closer to one minute in length. I'd try putting character material on another demo later, much later. Also I recommend creating and adding one or two more conversational sounding clips.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Danny Toy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bruce. I completely agree with you and the time brings me in to roughly 1:01, I think. I actually have a new project that fits the bill as a conversational piece too. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks again for your help.
D
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bruce - I also would drop the howard johnson and make some edits - like getting rid of Chemical Bank - that closed sometime in the 90's and is a giveaway that it's an old spot.

Maybe something like THIS with one of your newer jobs?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've got some good material there. I tend to fall into the group that separates out the genres, so I think Bruce and eX are right with the one minute commercial and move the character stuff to a separate demo. That being said, I'm not in the commercial game much (niche talent... and there's not too much work over here for Brits in the commercial arena). The conversational stuff seems to be in great demand and it looks like you have a plan for that already. A lot of the spots had a contemporary feel (to my ears) so I think you are not far off the mark at all.
Danny Toy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - Peter I appreciate you taking the time to listen and validate the previous comments. Melissa - I wonder if I hadn't mentioned Chemical Bank to you if you would have heard it. Probably Wink But the Chemical edit and overall trimming sound great. You may have a future in this business. Thank you for looking out for me - and congratulations on your major awards !!! cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: