VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whisper Room Interior Treatment Options - Thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ned,

I use a 4x6 Whisper Room - you will need to address the bass buildup in the corners nearest to your mic. I'm using 4" wedges from top to bottom, the rest of the booth is 2" with a few vertical bare columns from four to ceiling so it's a little more lively than what would have been the typical dead booth. I'm really not concerned with the mic being used, everything does go through a clean booth so what you hear in the booth is what hits the disk. If you didn't buy the casters to better isolate the booth, keep that in mind. Best of luck to you with the new booth.

Be well,
Kevin

Edit: I do recall one person here in NYC buying the same one saying she put 4" throughout the entire booth and that was the only thing that worked.

Last edited by kgenus on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
WillMWatt
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I have the same WhisperRoom model. The four large panels of Auralex that come with the unit are very thin and do very little to stop any reflections when placed on the walls, so the sound is pretty bad. Quite echoey. Definitely worth looking into alternatives. I bought a bunch of auralex in some kind of starter kit which had a load of 1x1 squares and some bass traps which has worked brilliantly.

In my experience:

Get some bass traps for the corners behind where you'll be sitting. They make an INCREDIBLE amount of difference to the sound.

For the longest time, I was a upset because I was getting an annoying boxy sound on any recording above a normal speaking volume. The whole box was kitted out with a layer of foam and I couldn't figure out where the echo was coming from. Finally realised that I hadn't treated the ceiling. I popped up one of the large auralex panels that came with the unit and the difference was night and day. No more boxy reflection!

The single layer walls do little to stop outside noise in the same room, so I would avoid putting the whisperroom in any part of your house that has a high level of traffic.

I love my WhisperRoom. They get a lot of bad press because of how expensive they are, but I'm a klutz with anything DIY so it was the perfect project for me! Having owned it for the best part of two years, I can honestly say I'm a happy customer. I would definitely consider building my own booth in future if I ever move out of my current house. If and when that happens, the WR will have retained much of its value, so I should be able to sell it on for quite a good price.

Enjoy!
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love my WhisperRoom. They get a lot of bad press because of how expensive they are

Mine has paid for itself many times over since purchasing new in 2008.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tell you what, it sounds just great the way it is...so given the space constraints, how did you mount the treatment? How did you cover it, ie technique and material?

Bill,

The pre-made panels (ATS Acoustics) are mounted using the provided mounting hardware.

The bass traps(constructed by me but materials from ATS) simply sit in the corners, from floor to ceiling.

The few panels that I assembled are simply leaned against the wall, at floor level so no need for mounting hardware.

All are covered with burlap material, again from ATS Acoustics.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use velcro hooks on back of ATS panels, secured with a staple gun, then hook em right to the WhisperRoom walls (the loops). Works fantastic! The hardware is a pain in the ass.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ned Vaughn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use velcro hooks on back of ATS panels, secured with a staple gun, then hook em right to the WhisperRoom walls (the loops). Works fantastic! The hardware is a pain in the ass.

That was my thought... velcro. Another reason to go frameless (saves weight). With that said, George, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the value of an air gap between the panel and the wall. I have an idea about a way to accomplish that, even with velcro, and may try it both ways. But if you have an opinion, I'd be interested to know it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: