VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Source-Connect 3.8 Bug Fixed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbeers
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Source-Connect 3.8 Bug Fixed Reply with quote

I'm trying to help Source Elements track down a bug in the "Standard" version of Source-Connect 3.8 and 3.8.1

If are you using either of these versions, and with "port forwarding" setup on your router, then we would like to know. If so we'd like to know what internet provider your using… and if Source-Connect successfully logs in quickly with "ports:open" (as it normally does if port forwarding is setup on your router).

If your on the Pro version… or anything other than 3.8 or 3.8.1 Standard, then never mind. This does not effect the monthly licensed version, only the full purchased "Standard" version

I am Beta Testing version 3.8.2 for them, and looking for anyone else with strange (unusually long) connection times to there server. Version 3.8.2 fixes the issue and will be released in 2-3 weeks.

But in the mean time, I would like to hear from anyone on 3.8 to 3.8.1 to determine if your "port mapping" is working correctly or not.

Thanks!

Last edited by dbeers on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dbeers
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I guess nobody is using Source-Connect? Or those that have it are using an older version? (prior to the current 3.8 version.)

Talk about thread killer. That's usually what happens when I post something - the thread dies out. I've killed my own right out of the gate - haha!

Ok, thanks for reading… I just wanted to report back what I learned to Source-Elements.
dbeers
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - New the new updated version of Source-Connect Pro and Standard has been released and here are the details:

Source-Connect 3.8.2 is a free upgrade for all 3.8 license holders, and is a recommended upgrade for those wanting access to important new features.

Most of these new features are only in the Pro version: including a major codec upgrade for higher quality options, finer buffer control with optional fixed latency for ADR recording and many general improvements.

Major AAC MP4 upgrade: AAC LD v2 supports more bitrates, sample-rates and channel options
Faster login time, no more waiting for port results
New features for strict networks: designate your outbound ports
Updated Q Manager resolves certain network issues
Updated support for Apple Airport routers
64-bit AAX support for Mac OSX Pro Tools 11 and 12
64-bit VST support for Nuendo etc
Remote Transport Sync support for 64-bit applications
Must-have security features for corporate networks
Subscription option for Standard

Last edited by dbeers on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I have been impressed with Source Connect Now. Have only used it for a couple of sessions but in both cases it was flawless.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using SC Standard, version 3.8, and it just logged on within 2 seconds.

Is there an update for Standard and, if so (as there seem to be no issues), should I update?

dbeers
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they never revealed the source of the the bug, which for me started with both 3.8 & 3.8.1 (Standard versions) - but they quickly fixed it with a beta release for me. Now, with the release of 3.8.2 there is no issues.

In my case, it was occurring on 2 different computers, and after a painful router/modem swap out. The problem was still there. It was not a problem with the "Subscription" or "Pro" versions (both of which they had me try).

Of course, SE's excellent support had me up and running on a temporary measure. The only possible source of the problem could be AT&T.

By any chance is AT&T your provider?

Yes, the new update is also for the "Standard" version of Source-Connect. And if anyone is on 3.8, it is a free update. So you should download and install it (after running the uninstaller).

I am not sure how many of the new features relating to "Pro" made it into "Standard" - but you should get it while you are still entitled to it.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my provider is Cablevision (aka the laughable "Optimum").

I'd been to Source-Connect's site but wasn't able to find anything labeled as an update, for Standard or Pro versions. Maybe we're supposed to just download whatever is there, believing it to be the latest version?

As I've not been experiencing any issues, I wonder whether I should update.

dbeers
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem finding it initially.

The easiest way is to be logged into your account, then scroll down to the "Software Licenses and Downloads" section. Then click on "Downloads" (next to My Licenses). Then click on the "Download Source-Connect Standard" button and then under Show Download for: select - "i have a mac" or "i use win 32-bit" or "i use win 64-bit".

Then you will actually see the full Standalone version number 3.8.2 (and corresponding operating system).

Hope that helps. It's a bit buried. I knew it was released, but had a hard time finding it as well.

Source-Elements is encouraging everyone to update. You can always shoot support an email if you have any questions or concerns. They of course have top notch support and are quick to respond.

Finally, I knew you weren't going to come back with AT&T as your provider. Otherwise, that might have been the variable that produced the issue. It's also been speculated that the issue was with the SC server. But it's fixed and working solid.

Also Rob, I too have had great success and impressed with Source-Connect Now. It's surprising how many requests I get for that connection.

Last edited by dbeers on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dbeers
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and here is what it says about the "Standard" 3.8.2 update (from the SE website):

NEW WITH 3.8.2:
Faster login time, no more waiting for port results
Updated Q Manager resolves certain network issues
Updated support for Apple Airport routers
Must-have security features for corporate networks

PLUS ALL OF THESE 3.8 FEATURES:
Major AAC MP4 upgrade: AAC LD v2 supports more bitrates, sample-rates and channel options
Support for OSX 10.10 Yosemite
64-bit AAX support for Pro Tools 11
64-bit VST support for Nuendo
Remote Transport Sync support for 64-bit applications
Receive buffer option for lower latency Standard connections
New features for strict networks: designate your outbound ports
Cancel port test
Subscription option for Standard
Comprehensive error messages with detailed help
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have you tested and found lower latency with the update over 3.7 when correctly setting the receive buffer? I tried to look up the manual, but it appears that they haven't updated the manual with the new option. Basically I want to see if (in real life) there is a perceivably lower latency on 3.8.2 when set up correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: