VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digital Interface Choices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Digital Interface Choices Reply with quote

In my booth, as currently configured, I have a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer, one output of which is connected to the (balanced) line-in on my ISDN box (Roadrunner). That arrangement works just fine.

However, the USB sound "card" on my Windows 7 Dell computer cannot handle balanced input or output, so I currently have my mic plugged into a MicPort Pro into the computer, which also works OK. However, If I need to switch from recording directly into the computer to an ISDN session, I have to unplug the mic from the line that goes to the MicPort Pro and into the Mackie, and vice versa. Also, I can't currently make a backup recording of an ISDN session, nor can I do Source Connect Now, ipDTL, or anything similar from inside my booth (I would have that directly at my desk).

So I need a digital interface that can handle balanced inputs and outputs and it has to be USB. I recon I need to have at least three balanced inputs and three balanced outputs so I can handle one mono channel from the ISDN box and a left and right channel to and from the Mackie.

Based upon many of the posts I've read here, and because I don't want to spend more money than I have to, I am leaning toward either a Focusrite 6i6 or an M-Audio M-Track Quad. Do you have any opinions on which of these is the better choice, and are there some other units that I'm overlooking that are worth investigating?

Thanks.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if all you need is your mic input going to the interface and then the input/output of the ISDN box, I don't think you really need 3 inputs/outputs. Your mic is mono and the send/receive of the ISDN is mono so that would only be 2 inputs necessary. With the mixer you could probably just use what you've got.

Mic plugged into channel one of the mixer, ISDN output into mixer channel 2 line in, then use Aux 1 to send channel one out Aux 1 output (TRS to XLR Cable) to feed the ISDN input and use Aux 2 to send channel one out Aux 2 output (TRS to XLR Cable) into the MPP that plugs into the computer. Then send what you want to hear to the headphones and monitors. If you have monitors outside your booth, you can just plug those into the Main Outs and the phones into the headphone jack. I'm not sure on that mixer what controls the phones, but I'm sure you can figure that out. If I remember correctly you need to make Aux 1 prefader (with the global prefader button) and Aux 2 is always prefader. This way, your monitor volumes don't affect your send to the ISDN box or the computer.

Would that work?
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't need the interface to get the mic into the ISDN. I have that already. The interface is so I can send left and right channel balanced audio from the mixer in my booth to my computer and to send the output of my computer -- left and right channels, balanced -- back into the booth. But while I'm at it, I might as well also be able to send balanced output from the ISDN box directly into the computer, although that is not a priority.
In my booth, I have a Behringer headphone amp that works with two sources, so I have the ISDN monitor in one and the computer output in the other, so I'm covered there, although I'm just taking an unbalanced feed from my computer's sound car and occasionally, if someone has mixed a YouTube video with the music on one channel and the voice track on the other, the music could overpower the VO. I can probably fix this with a Y-adapter, without the need for an interface, but it hasn't been enough of an issue to bother doing it.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a splitter should do the job so you don't have to plug/unplug stuff. maybe a Y cord with the right connectors on each.
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: From a slightly different direction... Reply with quote

If you're happy with your interface and want a bi-directional -10>+4, +4>-10 two channel converter, An Aphex 124a/124b or similar device would mate easily and work well with your unbalanced interface and Mackie board.

dwpthe3rd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: