VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here Goes Nuthin...whaddya think?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffk13057

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Here Goes Nuthin...whaddya think? Reply with quote

OK, guys, ledder rip... I have my asbestos suit on.
Anyways, it's nice to meet everyone. I look forward to meeting everybody, and I can't wait to get busy (working). Don't worry about hurting my feelings.

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey Koehler

www.j4productions.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff--

If you want a critique on a demo, please post a link to the DEMO.
If you want critique on your website, please say so.

Be specific.
donrandall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff -

You really pumped the medical narration thing in your text, but did not provide an audio sample of medical narration. Maybe it's just me, but that seems a bit odd.

Your e-mail link is rather difficult to find. I thought you did not provide one, but I looked around and found it. I would recommend doing something to make that very important item very obvious! Uhh...do I remember correctly...that you are using blue as a font color? Hmmmm.....e-mail addresses are often underlined and in blue font which contrasts nicely with the rest of the surrounding text, which is usually black. Oh well.....

I like the minimalist approach, it is neat and clean and provides one with everything that is really needed without bouncing the viewer from one page to another. You have accomplished the two main goals, your demos are there and your contact information is there - although, for the reason mentioned above, my eye was not drawn to it as on other websites on which the color contrast makes the e-mail address more obvious.

What does seem obvious to me is that you are a man of great talent.
jeffk13057

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dierdre:
You are absolutely right, I was soooo excited, I forgot to do that. My apologies, I'll be more specific in the future.
There is a segment in the narration demo on the medical side, I spoke about retinopathic disease and tests to diagnose it; I sometimes think the first segment is too long and people will stop listening before they get to that segment.
Also, I have often thought that the lower left hand corner was a little ambiguous, and I guess you share my opinion. I would like to make that a little more "user friendly". I also think that maybe a pale blue hue to the background may make the contrast a little less, and change the color of the email link, as you suggested.
I wanted to keep the website plain and simple, and draw people to the demos right off the bat, since I am just starting out.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, as well as the compliment. It is great to be a part of this great resource, to be critiqued by one's peers, and share ideas and concepts with fellow VAs.
Thanks!!

Jeff K
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... you wanted a website critique?
jeffk13057

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would absolutely love it if anybody had any thoughts at all on anything that happens to strike their fancy, website, demo, or anything else, when they click on j4productions.com.

Thanks in advance,

JK
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

Given the prominence you devote in the text of your site to medical narrations, I'd re-arrange the narration demo to start with that medical clip. The other narration pieces are nicely done.

Speaking of re-arranging, since again, much of the copy is about narrations, maybe put the narration demo above the commercial demo? To underscore the prominence you give to that part of your business and experience.

I too like the simple design, but I think you should give more prominence to the contact details. You don't want to make people hunt for your email address. (That could be something as simple as using a contrasting color for the email address link.)

I didn't listen to your commercial demo, so I can't really comment on that.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard,

Well, I've got about 20 notes in my head, but I'll only give a few to let others have their say too. First, for a noob (which I'm guessing you are from the text of your site) it's quite a good first effort. However, many of your cuts are delivered in a whispery style that seems artificial to me. IMHO that needs to be reserved for special occasions only. All of your character stuff is based on the same gravelly voice. Save that for one character and rely on other techniques (accent or age or level of insanity) to create the others. Your text says you specialize in medical narration yet you open your narration demo with a scifi action piece. As a rule, narration should be corporate, medical, technical, educational, sales oriented stuff, and the fiction should go in a separate demo. On the medical narration, I wouldn't go quite so perky in my narration. Be interested and interesting, but perky is unpleasant to listen to for long periods of time. Speaking of perky, I'd kill that repetitive music behind the medical piece. Music is not needed there at all.

All in all a good first effort, but I'd listen to many more professional demos and see what you can glean from their experience.

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
jeffk13057

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, from the bottom of my heart.
I'll get busy ASAP on everyone's suggestions.
Appreciate the input.

JK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: