VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A "portable" sound booth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, had some time so I put the box together and stuck the mics in there.

Having never done an "A/B" test before I'll describe what I did. Both mics were placed in the box at the same time. Both were run using the same brand cable into my Yamaha mixer using it's preamps. No processing in the chain. From there it goes to the line in on the Firebox. Recorded in the multitrack mode of Adobe Audition. Both files contain the same recordings.

ElectroVoice RE20

Shure SM58

There are a couple different reads of the same copy. The only post processing I've done is to normalise the reads to the same level (that's why you'll hear the background noise jump some on the files).

I'll leave the box up for a day or so if you want me to try anything specific.

B
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test Brian.

I did something similar the other day in Audition. with both voice and sax on #2 the sax blew its doors off but that was a mistake on my part. I was really more concerned with how it sounded on voice. still working on the sound treatment.

mics are

#1 Heil Pro PR-40
#2 Rode NT 2
#3 EV RE20
#4 SM58
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the RE20 is an excellent mic for saxophones. What are you thoughts?

Yeah, I've been known to squeal a note or two myself.
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,
What Yamaha mixer are you using?

Thanks,
jjk
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

It's the MG16/6FX
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the RE20 in my radio news days, and always liked them. This one is borrowed from my wife's brother whose project studio is in the process of being rebuilt (he's on tour with Blood Sweat and Tears, and Sam Moore so work is going slowly) He likes them on horns. I'm not sure what's in his mic locker, though he did have some Neumann 103's last time I was there.

I have a Rode NT 2 that I use for both, I like the way it sounds on sax, but my recording space isn't perfect and there is only so much I can do, so I'm thinking of picking up and Re20 to take more of the room out of the sound. I didn't have it positioned properly for the sax on that recording either, it was a bit heavy for the boom arm (just ordered a new one), so it fell a bit. it's a bit smoother on sax than the condensor,

does this constitute threadjacking? here's Honkin' at ya!

Laugh
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New test, I've been drinking coffee this morning so forgive the mouth clicks please. I didn't want to edit for fear of tainting the results.

Same as before, both mics recording at the same time. I'm about 2 inches away (in radio mode).

RE20

SM58

Now granted, these tracks are a bit muddy in the bass because I was so close to the mics but it's amazing to me how much more clarity there is with an LD condenser compared to a dynamic mic.

B
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shure SM58 is a very good, inexpensive dynamic mic. There is an updated version of that mic available for a just a few dollars more, the Shure SM58 Beta, which is a bit cleaner and more crisp sounding than the standard SM58. It will never be confused for a large diameter condenser mic - but for the money, it is a very impressive little mic and worthy of consideration by anyone not wanting to use a condenser mic.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Brian,

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to put the box back together and do this test.

I listened to the sound samples on my crummy PC speakers and through headphones. They both sounded pretty good to my untrained ears. My concern is that the SM-58 wouldn't produce a good enough sound quality to allow me to audition or produce anything of professional quality at home. The only difference I really hear is more sibilants with the SM58 and perhaps a bit less warmth.

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time.

By the way, has everything cleared up in Apex? I hope you weren't affected too badly by that chemical cloud.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to mention is that the RE20 had a foam pop screen on it while the SM58 had none. I couldn't find it.

If I was choosing between these two only for my voice, it'd be the RE20.

Apex:

They're still trying to figure out exactly what chemicals are on site (they did finally release a list they THINK is right) and what the best way to clean them up is going to be. Nobody died so that's good. I don't believe there were any major injuries either.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that things are going well in Apex.

If you only had an SM-58, would that stop you from trying to start your voiceover career? That's all I have at the moment and my budget is too tight to purchase anything else unless I can generate some income with the 58.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it would not stop me from trying. You work with what you've got. How else you going to get the money to upgrade? Wink
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I like your concept for ventilation. Certainly beats $525 for the ready made unit at soundsuckers. Now the delima is with the fan. I spoke with someone at Fantec and did not realize how complicated it can get selecting the right fan. Have you made the fan purchase yet and if so with who?
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't. I'm still thinking it over. I found some good stuff on this at... www.homerecording.com I think. In the archives studio build section.

As pricey as fans are, I'm a bit worried about spending $100 on one only to find it's very noisy.

I've put ventilation on the back burner for now. With the stuff I'm doing right now I'm only in the booth for maybe 10 minutes at a time and I haven't had any issues. I do open the door between takes though, or even leave it cracked if the house is quiet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: