VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notch Filter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Notch Filter Reply with quote

(Moved here by moderator)

Hello, Everybody,

I hope this is the right place for DAW questions.

I have some sibilance in my voice. I have done some things at the source to help correct, but it still slips through.

So, I'm trying to "notch" it out with my DAW I'm using Audacity and the built in notch filter effect. I have totally isolated the "sss" sound to 900 hz. I know that sounds crazy low, but so is my voice. I can completely eliminate the sibilance by notching out that frequency, but then the result sounds kind of muddy.

Any suggestions for brightening up the file once I've taken out all the 900 hz frequencies?

Thanks

Paul
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These types of questions usually go in the gear or chat sections, but I would recommend using a De-Esser instead of a notch filter for sizzly esses. A De-esser is basically a frequency-targeted compressor, so it only kicks in when the set frequencies get too loud...leaving the audio largely untouched (when set up correctly). 900Hz is not a typical sibilance problem area though, it is usually in the higher frequencies. You sure you don't mean 9000Hz?

Audacity doesn't have a De-Esser built in though. You can probably find a freeware plugin or if you have a Mac you can accomplish de-essing with the AU Multiband compressor. You will want to do some research so you fully understand the process in order to set it up correctly though.

Spend some hours on Google researching De-esser and Compressor. You'll benefit from a good understanding of the processes.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
900Hz is not a typical sibilance problem area though, it is usually in the higher frequencies. You sure you don't mean 9000Hz?

I'm sure about the 900 hz. I know it's crazy but I spent hours last night with the notch, isolating one particularly nasty "s" going through every frequency from 9000 down in 500 increments. I was getting an effect at about 4000 on, and when I got to 900, that's when I was finally able to eliminate it completely.

I do have the de-eser.ny" from the Audacity forums. I'll have to play with it a little bit more.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not endorsing this product. I've had a few people mention it in the past and its on sale for $29 until tomorrow.

Again, i've never used it but I've heard good things. For $29 it may be worth a shot.
Never used Audacity so make sure that it will even run this type of plugin!

http://www.waves.com/plugins/deesser?utm_source=wnletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2-day-sale#scheps-deessing-guitars-and-cymbals
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, are you able to send me some audio? If you can, please send about 30 seconds worth of the already-recorded audio you find troubling, and also please make a new raw recording of the same material without whatever you've done at the source (or anything else) to eliminate the issue.

I'd like to hear, see and analyze the audio using Adobe Audition.

Thanks.

paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:
Paul, are you able to send me some audio?

Thanks.

Well, pretty much all of my audio has the "hss". Here's a pretty good example

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=88E90FF0A06CBEC8!7054&authkey=!ACq9kiOMq0QUvIA&ithint=file%2cmp3

This is with me attempting to correct at the source with Mic placement and a pop filter. I was never very effective at making a difference so this would sound largely like it did without any attempt at correction. Thanks for the help!
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded your file, I listened, and then I let it display it's frequency response in graphic form. (Using Audition)

I don't SEE and 900 hertz problems. If I had not read your posts about the problem with S-sounds, I don't know that I would have even noticed them. They didn't strike me as all that outrageous. And in Audition, I couldn't come up with a quick-fix that would reduce them. Maybe someone else can help you there.

But I do have one suggestion. Your graphically displayed audio on the low end begins a good healthy nosedive below 70 to 75 hertz. But then at about 50 hertz, it begins to rise like a rocket!!! It peaks at about 13 hertz. You can't hear it, but when people put their meters on your dead spaces, your room tone, your noise level readings are corrupted by this 13 hZ trash. I would suggest you run a high-pass filter to take out stuff below 70, 80 or 90 hertz. Where you want to begin the cut is a matter of personal choice.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great feedback thanks. Maybe my perception of my "hsss" in my voice is worse than reality. Good problem to have.

Another reason to have a coach...but in the meantime, thanks for the 2nd set of ears.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vkuehn wrote:
I would suggest you run a high-pass filter to take out stuff below 70, 80 or 90 hertz. Where you want to begin the cut is a matter of personal choice.

while we're talking technique. I just picked up an Oktava 319 that has a built in mechanical hpf. If I use that, I could almost completely accomplish the same thing before processing right?
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulstefano wrote:

I just picked up an Oktava 319 that has a built in mechanical hpf. If I use that, I could almost completely accomplish the same thing before processing right?

Maybe so, maybe no. Try it and see.

Sometimes our DAW software messes mightily with that region down below 80 or 90 hertz. If I am going to run a high pass filter in software, it will be one of the last if not THE last thing I do.

Your hardware (mic included) can deliver a perfectly good signal and running some compressor or a filter to raise or lower frequencies up at the top end can leave you with barnyard droppings down there in the below 90 hZ region.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check the spec on your hardware hpf. I have personally seen a few hpf on mics that cut as high as 140-150 hz. Horrible hardware setting for someone that has any bass in their voice.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat! And, most hardware HPFs don't cut nearly as much out as one might cut out using software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: