VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumble!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Rumble!! Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

I posted this on facebook so sorry if you've seen it, but I figured it was time to get the experts on this.

I recently upgraded my booth and moved it to the 2nd floor. This has helped with the kids running on the floors but has introduced a new problem, Highway rumble. I have a big 6 lane road right behind my house. I can't hear it unless I listen to room tone, and with the headphones to the max, but I know it's there.

Effort to remove it have been troublesome. I can get it completely out with a High Pass filter rolling off everything below 220 hz, but that gets into some of my voice range.

So, my question to you is, do you hear it in this recording done in the booth at normal levels? If so, is it imperative that I chase down ways to completely remove it?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqizy3m88x0llbq/Christmas%20at%20the%20Cove.mp3?dl=0
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your peaks are at -4. Through compression or something I would remove the highest peaks another 3 or 4 dB. I get the idea everybody measures noise in their own methodology. If my peaks are minus 3, then when I measure the noise level I will add the 3 dB back in rather than fib to myself.

O.K. As is, I measure your noise at about -53. eliminate the 3 or 4 dB I would get rid of and you are sitting at about -50. And the frequency of the noise, the room tone seems rather spread out, rather random. Do I hear TRUCK NOISE? Not me.

The context seems to be that this track would be played on the sound system in a house or worship. Have you used a Sound Meter and measured the ambient room noise in a H.O.W.? They ain't gona hear no noise in your recording!

In my quiet little space with pretty decent headphones, I don't hear the noise.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern,

You're losing me a bit. Are you saying I recorded it too hot? I should have started with lower recording levels?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: