VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A cool new travel solution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: A cool new travel solution Reply with quote

One of the cool gear exhibitors I got to meet at VO Atlanta was Bryant from Abacus entertainment, and they've made a travel solution called the VoGo that is far more compact and practical than what's already out there, and it actually protects your gear!

[EDIT: I fixed an error in the last video, and am providing the new link here!]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HMfGES6z91s

Last edited by sdaeley17 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooooooooo......for $650-$675 bucks you get a serviceable mic, a flash drive with open source free recording software, a pop filter, a wide elastic band "copy holder", a felt flap, and...oh...a PEN!...in a foam lined plastic box.

Okie Dokie

I hope the pen is at least a Montblanc.

Nice job on the interview video though, by the way.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit it's pricey, I would've expected closer to 400-500 for the whole kit, but I do like the form factor and customization.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool video...I haven't been to a conference of any kind in a long time, they're a lot of fun aren't they?!

Neat idea -- but that looks like something a lot of traveling pros might already have built themselves just out of need already. I wish those guys luck -- but I wonder how many units they'll sell?

I'm kind of reminded of those "portable vocal booth" things I've seen on ebay. Someone just takes one of those fabric 12" by 12" storage cubes, slides some 12" by 12" Auralex foam inside, cuts a hole in the back for an XLR cable and sells it for $60.

Is it a bad idea? Nope, pretty creative! Is it worth $60 and something I couldn't make myself over a weekend? Eh...

It certainly is slicker than something most of us have the time to put together though! I wish them luck! That Apogee mic is interesting...I like their interfaces...

:thumbsup:
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told, I have Harlan hogan's porta booth plus, a kaotica eyeball, and an apogee mic. They've all paid for themselves, but now that I have a treated space, I'm not really happy with any of them. Nothing can beat it, I guess.
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for kicks and grins, I googled "DIY foam suitcase," to see if this was something anyone had made on their own... and found this website:

http://www.mycasebuilder.com/

Of course, it doesn't come with any gear, but if you have your own set-up you like, and just want something customized to carry it in, this looks like a nifty option.

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdaeley17 wrote:
Truth be told, I have Harlan hogan's porta booth plus, a kaotica eyeball, and an apogee mic. They've all paid for themselves, but now that I have a treated space, I'm not really happy with any of them. Nothing can beat it, I guess.

Yeah, a treated space is the idea solution. Those other things are sort of stop-gap-measures. I have the eyeball and it's...

(I wish you could see the expression on my face as that's the only way to really accurately describe my feelings).

It's...an over priced hollowed out nerf ball. There. Does it do anything? Yes and no. I think if I was a singer it would be more of a value. Also, it doesn't like certain microphones at all (I think it has to do with their pick up patterns) and it creates a lot of muffled, muddy sounds.

I actually had an interesting craft project I forgot about. Ever seen that green foam people use to make flower arrangements? The kind that you can dent with your fingers and it stays like that? I found hemispheres (half-balls) about the size of the eyeball. I was going to hollow both sides out, glue them together and see how it sounded. Why not? It's cheap, at every craft store. I'm curious how that floral foam does. It's so dense it might just reflect sound though. Who knows!
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curse you Kristin... I just lost hours of my life going through case and foam options! Smile

It's actually quite economical to go down that route if you need a secure travel case that will double as a V-shaped recording baffle (or whatever we're actually going to call it). In fact, it's all about perceived value and I fail to see how they can charge so much for a simple case+foam (duh! ... they can charge $325 because people will pay it!). The Pelican iM2200 (15x10x6 interior) is only $88 (from Amazon, including foam). A few extra bucks for the trimmings and extras (felt, elastic bands, etc) and you're set!

Thanks for the link and the idea. Really.
Shiny! cool
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
Curse you Kristin... I just lost hours of my life going through case and foam options!

I know -- it's quite the rabbit hole. Shocked I even lost another eighteen minutes watching a gun enthusiast make his own case with an electric carving knife...

W00T

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm, gun case.

Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and the video has been removed. Rolls Eyes
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that Clutter. That wasn't because of the brow beating. Wink. I noticed an error in the vid I hadn't picked up before publishing. I fixed it and reuploaded it here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HMfGES6z91s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: