VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A recording space decision..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: A recording space decision.. Reply with quote

Hello all...

As we're nearing completion of the new house (about a month away) I need to make a decision about which way to go with my recording space..

Bedroom 1 measures 14 x 11 and has 2 windows and 2 doors plus an adjoining 4 x 6 walk-in closet with a rounded corner..

Bedroom 2 measures 12 x 11 and has 2 windows and 2 doors...

My concern about doing the walk-in closet is getting a "boxy" sound, - doing the 12 x 11 bedroom would mean spending more on sound absorbtion ( I have 6 ecosorb panels & some aurelex) plus dealing with the windows..

FWIW my main mic is a Neumann TLM-103

Any thoughts?
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Hei Steve Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

Personally I would lean towards a larger space, but the closet has a better length to width ratio than the other options. Of course, the larger space might cost you more if you need more panels. Check out Lance Blair's blog about his office/studio recording space.

Here is an interesting link to some videos where a guy builds out a space for his audio needs.

http://gikacoustics.co.uk/ian-shepherd-builds-home-studio/

Hope this might be of help.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hei Steve Reply with quote

FinMac wrote:

Check out Lance Blair's blog about his office/studio recording space.

Link to the blog: http://lanceblairvo.com/blog/2015/08/voiceover-office-setup/
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: A recording space decision.. Reply with quote

Steve Knight wrote:

As we're nearing completion of the new house (about a month away) I need to make a decision about which way to go with my recording space..

Our younger friends living in rented spaces or in homes they are outgrowing probably cannot appreciate some of the mental tension you are under. I wish you well as you work your way through some decisions.

This may well be what people in the home building business used to call a "production built home". (It's been 20 years since I "hung out" with those folks.) To ask your builder to make major modifications in their standard plan can get expensive, and in a few years when it is time to dispose of the home, modifications could leave you with a floor plan that does not market well as you pull your money out for total retirement or your move to truly senior living facilities.

(I am preparing to relocate into a house that I will modify some to accommodate recording. After I am gone, I can only imagine the conversation the week of the funeral: "What was Dad thinking when he ripped out that wall??? And Sis, what the hell were you thinking when you didn't stop him?" I did raise a VERBAL family, after all.)

For a voice over person to have full freedom to change the design before construction would be the ultimate LUXURY!

My vote, Steve: Take the smaller of the two rooms, but not the closet. I know studios that look like REAL studios make great pictures on websites, but DON'T insist that the entire room must ONLY be occupied by studio stuff. Put in some antique furniture with rounded corners for storage of household goods. Put it shelves and racks where you can store boxes of family photos and other non-studio items. They have to be somewhere, and they will contribute to improving the acoustics of the room, and if you don't then you have to spend more money on acoustical materials. Go organic!
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input! at the moment, I'm leaning toward the smaller bedroom...what I've learned is that even with the closet scenario, I'd be spending $$ on bass traps to fight the boxiness,..I see a call to George Whittam in my future
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use the larger room IMHO. The smaller room is to close to square and can introduce some unwanted modes.

www.monksvoice.com
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monk wrote:
I would use the larger room IMHO. The smaller room is to close to square and can introduce some unwanted modes.

It is not unusual to have 9 foot ceilings in new construction these days. That would give you all three dimensions tightly bunched. But which ever of the two rooms you decide you would like to use, let me share with you The Magic Beans.

I lived all these years with the most delightful interior decorator. And just this past week, after looking at probably 1,500 homes on the internet in the past year, most of the displays giving me 20 interior pictures of each home, I realized MY Country Boy vision of what a recording space should look like, and what good decorators strive to do (and what my lady did) was to NOT pile the furniture up against the walls and leave big empty spaces in the middle of the room

Take the room you want to record in and divide it up into two spaces, one with about 40% of the space. Put an Armoire and a bookshelf out in the middle of the room if you like. Build a partition wall to divide the room... it doesn't have to go to the top of the room and connect with the ceiling. And it should not connect to a wall at either end. Let it be free standing. Give it a little L-turn at one end just for variety if you like.

Just like dropping your favorite pice of china on the floor and breaking it, you have just dropped the acoustical problem of an almost square room on the floor and broken it into pieces.

Is there going to be furnace noise or laundry noise trying to come through a wall into your chosen room? Hide your mic space on the far side of your fake-wall. Yes, some of the noise will come on around but it may be reduced in making the trip until it no longer is significant in your recordings. If you think one of the two windows is going to let more noise in than the other, see if your fake wall can be oriented so the window is on the opposite side of the wall from where your mic will be.

Sound waves can be stubborn and obnoxious... but they are dumb. They won't realize that your one big overall room is a playground where they could raise havoc. They will likely wimper, lay down and say... "I don't know how to mess up this strange looking room!"
Steve Knight
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's a link to the upstairs floorpan (most of it) to give you an idea
FYI the unfinished storage space will be used for ,..storage, and my sad, but very real model train addiction

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4xox7pdq1yrr67/1199_10205803178613902_1630851582706819028_n.jpg?dl=0
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a model train addiction. That sir, I can not help you with. Seek professional help ASAP.

so the 12'8"x11 room passes muster
Room Dimensions: Length=12.67 ft, Width=11 ft, Height=8 ft
Room Ratio: 1 : 1.37 : 1.58
R. Walker BBC 1996:
- 1.1w / h < l / h < ((4.5w / h) - 4): Pass

as does the 14x11
Room Dimensions: Length=14 ft, Width=11 ft, Height=8 ft
Room Ratio: 1 : 1.37 : 1.75
R. Walker BBC 1996:
- 1.1w / h < l / h < ((4.5w / h) - 4): Pass
- l < 3h & w < 3h: Pass
- no integer multiple within 5%: Pass

The larger room is closer to the Louden frequency I prefer, but both are fine. I would choose something away from the street, and go from there. You have options.

www.monksvoice.com
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larger rooms do indeed almost always sound better than smaller rooms. The challenge ends up being isolation and quiet climate control. Those are easier challenges to meet in smaller rooms, in many cases.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What room do you like to be in better? They'll both be fine - I'm sure you'll do a great job treating either...but pick the room that you'll enjoy working in the most.

I just spun my room around so that I can see out the window. Raised my noise floor 2-3 dB. But I'm so much happier with the space. Smile

This is why I'm against home studio booths - I'm sure some people work just fine in them, but I can't be in one all day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: