VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tone Wood
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I have just two words for you.... Sinker redwood.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an absolutely fascinating topic.

I'm absolutely certain that wood, used judiciously, will impart a tone to a booth.

My last but one booth had a hardwood panel at an angle directly behind me. I guess it wasn't over a metre square. It was never designed in, just happened that way for reasons I can't even remember. The booth sounded great and I know for certain the wood panel made a contribution; there was a kind of helpful resonance that I can remember feeling and which I can almost persuade myself is still evident on recordings made from that period.

Coincidentally, I asked our acoustics guy just a couple of weeks ago if we could find a way to introduce a similar "smack" into the latest incarnation of the studio. I must chase him up on that!

Most of my favourite records were made at 2648 West Grand Boulevard in Detroit; there's an extensive amount of wood in the frames, the floor and the panels - it's so part of what made the Motown sound.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do work for a guy whose booth was almost entirely lined with aromatic cedar. It didn't necessarily do anything for the sound, but, boy, did it smell great.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayo wrote:

Most of my favourite records were made at 2648 West Grand Boulevard in Detroit; there's an extensive amount of wood in the frames, the floor and the panels - it's so part of what made the Motown sound.

My fascination with the recording process began in the mid 1950's. The broadcasting industry was doing all kinds of gingerbread like turning springs off of screen doors into reverb simulators. And I began reading literature on studios and auditoriums as published by the National Association of Broadcasters.

The world was coming out of the era of the radio receiver in a big wooden console and into the era of little toble-top and bedside receivers and there was this thirst for the big boomy echo sound. Universities were building new auditorums for music and arts. Rather than smothering the sound, and wiping it up like spilled coffee on the floor, the world was built around recycling all of that sound into something warm and fuzzy.

Today, not so much. So many folks who buy v-o output seem to want a rather dry, plain, drab output in comparison. In THEIR production studios they want to add the vanilla, the chocolate, the cream, in their own style.

Color me old fashioned, but I still think the human voice when properly captured and bottled can have some really great qualities, and a bit of judicious natural reverb (or presence?) can be great.

So I have begun sketching some little illustrations of how one would mount some wood in my next studio.... and if the price is not outrageous... some of that might be Tone Wood. Smile Give me about 6 or 8 months and we will see if it was worth the head-scratching and sweat.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyguido wrote:
Jason, I have just two words for you.... Sinker redwood.

I would LOVE a Coco guitar topped with sinker. I have even played one at a Taylor roadshow and it was incredible. It muted a bit of the zing but man did it sound AND LOOK sweet Smile That would probably be THE combo for me if I had an unlimited budget. That guitar was $5k. Thanks for reigniting my GAS! I've been happily attached to a 314ce built on my birthday for a while now. I'm not going to look for pics. Money Mouth
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't afford the sinker, so I settled for cedar on rosewood. I haven't been disappointed.

Over the years, I've worked in a number of studios treated with wood. Rough, not finished or sealed. There's something magical about the absorptive, reflective, and resonant properties of tonewoods. Wood lives long after it's cut and dried.

And, yeah, it smells awesome. Inoccent
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love me a good Rosewood Cedar guitar. A 714ce was one of the guitars I had over the years and it was one of my favorite. Probably the best smelling guitar I've played Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: