VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Room for improvement ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Dummy load test Reply with quote

OK, did some more testing because I found the dummy in the house Smile

First, Jason, thanks for the screwdriver test suggestion. Could not tell much from it, except it does not work so well for my ears.

Did some searching and finally found the dummy load xlr plug. Just ran the test and there again was the noise, which points to my original theory about the noise being in the electricity.

Here is a link to 2 seconds of recording with the mic and then 3 with the dummy load.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rs9s3fsxg7a5fx/2%20sec%20mic%20then%20Dummy%20load%20comparison.wav?dl=0
The first recording with the mic was before the solar inverter woke up. The second, with the dummy load was done after a mic test, confirming the noise bump was there. It was still there with the dummy, so, now what ?

Anybody have a clue what to do ?

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick glance through the posts here, so forgive if this has already been mentioned, but, could your problem be RF?
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Thanks Colin Reply with quote

Thanks Colin for the good question. I have not ruled out RF being the problem, since the solar inverter could be creating RF.

But it does in fact seem to be tied to the Solar Inverter, as another test this morning confirmed.

Thinking that the problem might be RF related, I contacted someone about Ferrite Cores, but their engineer suggested they would not be effective as they are not covering the correct frequencies.

Will write the Solar Inverter company and see if they have any ideas. Anyway, it is a strange problem.

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super strange, but I guess that means that it isn't being audibly picked up so that's good. It is probably cheaper to fix electrical issues than soundproofing problems...though I guess it does depend on the electrical issue Smile

Have you tried running an extension cord to plug your power conditioner into another circuit? I am curious if the whole house has the noise or if it is something like a poor ground on that particular circuit or something.

Does the noise increase if you swap out your power conditioner for a simple power strip?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: