VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vocal booth bonanza!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Vocal booth bonanza! Reply with quote

One of the last posts I made before the "hiatus' was about the Vocalboothtogo Soundproofer model.
http://vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18944

I thought it might interest the group to let you know I tried out the booth, and several others...this week.

Psychopath that I am, I got rid of my Drumperfect Silencer booth, even though several respected engineers and producers told me it sounded great. In the end it was just ill-fitted for what I need. The way I had it configured, it took up 6-7 feet of space, but still only allowed 3 feet by 2 feet of useable space inside! I will note, though, for those looking for Drumperfect products, it does sound great, nearly untouched right out of the box.

So, enter the Vocalboothtogo Soundproofer. I had been to the company's HQ to check it out in their receiving dock. Then I rented one from them, the 3 x 3 model. Problem was they sent me the wrong parts so I couldn't set it up properly in my home. I was still intrigued.

Last week I found a used one on Craiglist at a great price and bought it. I set it up, and it sounded great! As good as the drumperfect booth without any needed modifications, not even a bass trap. However, outside isolation was worse than ever. I have to say, for lower frequencies, it was barely better than plain moving blankets. All the highway noise was audible in my recordings.

So, the same day (Sunday) I finished erecting the Soundproofer and selling my Drumperfect, I found a Whisper Room at an absolute steal. 4 x 4 standard model, at $800. I did have to drive to New York City on Tuesday to get it, but that was a small price to pay. Even managed to finally meet fellow VOBBer Sean Daeley in person on the trip. If you are counting, that's 3 booths, in 3 days. I'm an idiot.

I am still trying to set it up. The unit did not come with the exhaust system so I am rigging my own and need some more parts first. Fingers crossed. I'll update the post when I get some recordings in the Whispy.
SilverSurfer3001
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how was the drum perfect compared to the VBTG in isolating low frequency noise?
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, speaking of my new whisper room. Has anybody ever put fasteners on the inside? If so how? I want to hang my producers choice blankets to help deaden the sound. I think it will work great, but how to attach them?

I tried 3M command strips which all just fell right off. Can you screw into the walls? Will it damage the sound deadening? I just need 6 hooks of some sort, 3 on each side wall in order to get the blankets hung.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy Duty Velcro?
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, Lee, but each blanket weighs 9 lbs!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The package says "Holds 10 Pounds."
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I actually just got back from the hardware store with the roll in hand. I noticed it said "Holds 10 lbs" too. Thanks for the tip Lee
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cut 10% off the velcro strip and it will hold exactly 9 pounds worth. Problem solved.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Just cut 10% off the velcro strip and it will hold exactly 9 pounds worth.

B
Well played, sir

Last edited by paulstefano on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the package says it will hold ten pounds, there's a 50-50 chance it might actually hold nine.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody said there'd be calculus in voiceover!!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're ok putting fasteners in the walls. The MDF holds them fine. Just don't drill all of the way through. Also a good idea to not drill or screw anything into the walls near a glass panel. Give it at least an inch or so.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...I set up the new Whisper Room last night with treatment.

Hung My producer's choice acoustic blankets, doubled over, from the back and side walls with industrial velcro an 3M command strip hooks. Then I took the Auralex that came with the booth and cut it so I could place it on the ceiling and door.

Finally, I took my trusty Recycled Denim rolls, still in the shrink wrap and placed them in all 4 corners, (4 on the top plus 2 on the bottom) to function as bass traps.

The results are good. Nearly dead inside. There is still some boominess in the corners that I plan to tame with more traps. The sound is surprisingly uniform though. I moved the mic around and found the sound to be nearly the same in all spots while standing.

One thing I noticed, which I already knew was that the sound is boomier up top. If I can't knock it down enough with traps I may have to sit to perform, because the sound is much less boomy in the lower 2/3 of the booth.

Finally, the sound isolation, and really my biggest reason for getting a new booth, which you know if you have followed my ramblings this year. I'm happy to report it's excellent! The best results I've seen so far from all my efforts. I hear a little highway rumble, but much less than in my old Drumperfect "Frankenbooth". It's easily taken out with a high pass filter. Also, with the caster plate vibrations through the floor are minimal. The kids and I jumped, ran, and rolled around on the floor below while recording and only very slight bumps were picked up and that was with my son wailing on the couch with both hands. Obviously, we try not to let that much noise happen in the house anyway, but it's good to know when the random wrestling match breaks out between siblings, it won't affect me

All in all, a great move. Another bonus is the outside footprint. I had taken over an entire spare bedroom with Frankentbooth and my desk for editing. Because of the odd shape I needed with the drum shield, I had lots of wasted space behind the booth too. Now I have the whole setup in the corner of the room taking up less than 24 square feet.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Recycled Denim rolls, still in the shrink wrap

keep in mind, i'm no george wittam, but wouldn't keeping the insulation in the plastic wrapper greatly reduce it's sound absorption properties?

i don't know --- i'm just asking.

paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I picked up the tip from Ethan Winer, as a "quick and dirty" way to create bass traps. He said keeping them in the shrink wrap helps because it is more densely compacted that way. These are just the 48 inch strips so opened up, I'd have to place them in some other kind of frame/vessel to get the same effect.

It has worked so well for me I just left them like that! I passed this on to George and he said it was a cool tip, or something like that. Never advised me to change it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: