VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience with the Focusrite iTrack Professional Dock?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Experience with the Focusrite iTrack Professional Dock? Reply with quote

This thing looks cool as all get out for recording on an iPad. Anyone have experience with this? I guess while we're at it, any recording software recommendations for the iPad and this device?

Linky Link

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with the interface... but it looks really nice!

I use the AT875r (as you know) and the Shure MVi for my travel kit... all connected to the iPad running Twisted Wave. TW is a great program and is well supported by the author. The interface is pretty clean and I can even get away with using on the iPhone... and it's only $9.99 (but wait, there's more)... I think there's a free version if you want to try it.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, now I'm all begeeked. I've been looking for an iPad-ready travel rig that I won't regret buying that could yield good results with a 416. Long to read of any hands-on experiences with this promising unit.

Connected: Can good results be had with an iPad? Or do I need to consider a Mac laptop? Philip, it sounds as though you're able to get things done on the road with your iPad. Does that include work-work (as opposed to auditions)? Is TW fairly easy to use for editing down a gaff-laden raw track? And do you find the workflow for getting said raw down to final and ready for transit to the client reasonable?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done multiple auditions on the iPad/TW combinations... and one real gig! It becomes more dependent on the environment in that case... or in any case really! There's no question that the chain sounds good (I tested it in my own studio before taking it on the road) and it's going to depend on what you can do with pillow forts and quilts. As for Twisted Wave... the editing is quite comprehensive (and quite granular)... but, being an Adobe Audition user, I miss my auto-heal and the use of an occasional iZotope plug-in. All-in-all, I've decided that the iPad and TW works for me and have stopped carrying around my MacBook when traveling.

The only real logistical problem I had was when someone else recorded on it. Normally I sync all my stuff via iCloud so I can have the iPad files on my iPhone with no problem... then I just email from there. This person was a PC/Android user, so we had to do the TW to Dropbox, to Android, to email shuffle. No biggie. If you've got a way to get the files easily off the iPad (or put email on your iPad) you're in good shape.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bish, for the detailed response! Very helpful indeed. It gives me the courage to leave my place for more than an hour at a time (only kidding a little). I get the auto-heal love: when I use ProTools and Izotope it's not the same (Izotope RXn is an excellent plugin but it's a lot more work than Audition's version and doesn't give you that spot healer. And I'm not keen on buying the uber version at over $1k).

Appreciate the workflow outline--using iCloud makes sense as that's where I store a lot of audio files anyway. And I have Dropbox.

I used to lug around a Portabooth, but it's a lot of awkwardness for not a lot of payoff in my opinion. Think I'll try TW and an interface to be named later. I see them pretty often on used gear sites...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: