VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brooklyn based vo talent seeking biz / marketing coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: brooklyn based vo talent seeking biz / marketing coach Reply with quote

Hi vo-bb gang!

My name's Ian and I'm Looking for an nyc based business/marketing coach.

I've been an actor all my life (BFA from SUNY Purchase- great program)

I just parted ways w/ my legit agent this year (Henderson-Hogan)
And commercial agent (Buchwald) and have built a home studio
(Shure SM7b, UA solo 610 preamp, apogee duet interface, running audacity on macbook 2015)

I freelance with Jaime Baker which is where I get about 80% of my vo work.

I made around $9k as an actor last year, around 8 from vo.

Im the voice of labatt blue beer and have been for 3 years

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T7RZdvpC8TE

Ive been doing vo technique lessons with Glen Holtzer in person in union square

If you or someone you know might be a good fit for me, please reach out to

Ianvoiceover@gmail.com !

Looking for biz coaching, putting a killer reel together, web design know-how, etc.

THANKS!!!
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would you "part ways" with the Don Buchwald Agency?
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to your question. Edge Studio is based in New York. They can train you on any specific genre. I am a big fan of their "programs". For me, it was easier to pick and choose from their existing options than to try to figure out what independent coaches had to offer from either their websites, or through email discussions.

With Edge you can do the entire training online, or go in person.

Also, nice job on the Labatt spots, love them. Did you get to wear the bear suit too?
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul,

Well they dropped me, however it was somewhat mutual because I didnt make myself available to drop everything to audition monday to friday 9 to 5.

Iwork as a Grip in IATSE Local 52. I have my union card. Im working on Spike Lee's new Netflix series as we speak. The VO department was pretty unwilling to accommodate the fact that not everybody is either coming from family money or willing to work a meaningless restaurant gig (also the insurance plan rocks). DBA didnt seem to care I had built a home studio either and could always audition remotely. Often my job will let me race to the city for an audition and sometimes I can't. That seems to be unacceptable to DBA but not to the manager I freelance with.

Hope this clears it up!

Thx for the tip I will definitely check out Edge studio!
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that makes more sense. I like the way you said it better, stick with that, Laugh

You definitely want to have an agent that works WITH you, no matter who they are.

I"m sure you'll get lots of opinions, but let me know if you want more information on Edge. I wasn't a complete noob, but they got me off the ground in VO really quickly. I went from a first ever VO audition submitted in September of 2015 to completing the program and signing with 4 agents by April of 2016.

Obviously, I still have a lot to learn and always will, but they certainly gave me a great foundation...along with LOTS of great help from the VO-BB
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Paul thats very impressive!! Congrats

Cool I'm all in. Should I name-drop you?
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iannyc wrote:

Cool I'm all in. Should I name-drop you?

If you think it will help, but I'd doubt it! If you call/email them and get Kendra as a coordinator, maybe. She was great to work with.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool good to know

Also it looks like they do so many things, where do I start? I guess I'll ask them
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iannyc wrote:
Cool good to know

Also it looks like they do so many things, where do I start? I guess I'll ask them

Start with the "Intro to Voice Over" course. It's a $99 group seminar where they let you feel out the process. If you end up doing more training with them, they'll subtract the $99 from your tuition.

Or just call like you said. They are Zero pressure, which is the mark of a good coach/school. You don't want to work with someone who is chasing YOU for the business.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to point out, though, you may be more advanced than their beginner program. You will find people there that have no business behind a mic. Sometimes, you will find people who are primed to take off though too. It depends on your comfort level with training.

Having a national Ad campaign, though, you may want to start with a more advanced track. Edge can do that for you too, but you'll have to call and speak with someone and ask them the best approach for you to take.

Again, though, they are not the only game in town. Definitely investigate them, but wait for some more responses to chime in before spending any money.

Paul
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, Ian!

Boy, I was thinking the same thing Paul asked regarding Buchwald. The getting of the agent is much harder than the getting of the job.

Unfortunately technology has it's good and it's bad. The good is that more can compete in vo than every before as more have access to the work. One of the bad is agents need the copy read and returned immediately. That part of the business is not going to change.

The thing is, it's show "business." And agents work in a for profit company. They only get paid when their clients work. And agents work 90% of the time for free, as the majority who audition do not book. But this is one of the reasons agents demand auditions be returned so fast. The good agent wants to be the first one heard.

As I said, the getting of the agent is hard. The getting of a good agent is a tremendous get. And it's not that they are unwilling to accommodate actors with day jobs. They just don't have to. They have too many clients who, like you said, are in their home studio all day working and waiting for the copy to flow in. And they get demos from others willing and able to do the same. This is pretty much how I spend my day when I'm not out and about working and (or) auditioning outside my home studio. If I still had a day job, I wouldn't have pursued the caliber of representation I have. And when I got into vo, the agents were more willing and able to accommodate clients with day jobs as the industry was not as immediate as it is today. They is why I was able to have day (and night) jobs the first 5 years I was pursuing vo, even with the top vo agent at the time in LA. Things are just very different today. My agent sends me copy throughout the day, often with a note that it's due within the hour. That's just the nature of the industry.

You are obviously very talented, as you would not have landed at such a prestigous office or booked what you have. You may have to reevaluate working with a large agency. There aren't many agents in NYC, and not many of Buchwald's caliber in the industry. Most actors don't even think about pursuing an agent of that size unless they are able to commit 100% to their vo career. And I totally understand your need to make a living! It just kinda breaks my heart that you lost the benefit of working with such a strong agency.

If interested, I have a weekly Facebook live video podcast where I answer vo career and business questions. It's on my Facebook page as well as my Facebook fan page. You can follow my regular page but I'm just about at my limit for friends, so I'm not accepting any more, which is why I started the fan page. I've done 7 one hour videos right now. Kinda cover whatever comes up from the viewers. But you might get some good marketing info. And it's free! I call the broadcast Ask the Pig. If I don't have a gig or audition I do em live every Monday at 12:30pm PST. Butcha gotta follow my Facebook page to participate live. All 7 live on my Facebook fan page:
https://www.facebook.com/Bob-Bergen-800554446712847/

They aren't necessarily posted in order, but it doesn't really matter.
Bob Bergen
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob!

I'll check it out.

Yea I got in with Buchwald because they wanted me for on-camera commercial which is not for me... but I never really got in that tight with their VO department, even though I booked a couple radio spots.

My goal is to make an extra $4k per month, either by sneaking out of work (often doable) or working from home or in studios on nights and weekends.

When I get a good reel I will reach out to CESD, as they expressed interest in me a few years ago. I honestly regret not signing with them, I believe we had better chemistry but I got seduced by the name... woe is me!

But $4k/mo is my income goal right now (working other job during the week)
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, and keep hanging around PLEASE! Sounds like you could have a lot to offer the group. Would love to see how you progress
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely you will have the same outcome with CESD as you did with Buchwald, unless you are committed full-time. And burning bridges at the highest level is not a recommended way to do business.

If you are only looking to do this part time and $4k a month is the only need you have, then landing a few regional agencies, being very selective with V123, and self-marketing will be a better fit for you. After watching the Labbatt's spot, it obvious you have chops so going this direction shouldn't be too difficult.

As for a coach, this board you found will give you more insight for what you need than anyone selling their time. Just be humble and show gratitude when necessary and the gates of knowledge will open freely. Also, the only coaches most would recommend would only be useful if you were willing to commit full-time and shoot for "legit" work.

My four rules for success:

Be great
Be available
Be easy to work with
Be grateful
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan!

Good points. I dont think I burned a bridge with Buchwald; if I could now convince them that I could be on call 24/7 they might take me back, and honestly, I would love to do this full time; I'm just not willing or able to quit my day job and watch my income fall by $70k for the first year or two.

I just need more information and experience... and a reel for gosh sakes! I've got my first class with Edge Studios next saturday so hopefully they can orient me.. is there such a thing as a regional vo agency based in nyc? That could definitely be my speed.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: