VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre suggestions for TLM103 and 416 combo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that ISA...I like hardware controls vs. software. If I'm going to be tweaking anything at all, I like the feel of a real knob.
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
Hmmmmm.... I may be testing one of these out really soon. I've been wanting to upgrade from the 286a, but haven't found anything with an effective expander. Is it pretty transparent?

I'm not using the expander, but I will say when I made the switch from the 286a it was like taking a veil off of my 416. Also, the price seems to have come down the past couple of years, only $2k now compared to the $3k they used to be.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenaliDave wrote:
I like that ISA...I like hardware controls vs. software. If I'm going to be tweaking anything at all, I like the feel of a real knob.

I'm right there with ya on knobs.

Also, I've always felt like the 286a was not as refined as I would like. Seems like nuance is lost with it. I thought it was the 416 so I tired a U87ai in my studio...but it had the same lack of nuance. That leaves only one culprit.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
DenaliDave wrote:

I'm right there with ya on knobs.

Also, I've always felt like the 286a was not as refined as I would like. Seems like nuance is lost with it. I thought it was the 416 so I tired a U87ai in my studio...but it had the same lack of nuance. That leaves only one culprit.

The 286 is really attractive given all that it can do in one simple, hardware box. And given DBX's legendary history with products like the 160 series compressors...I would have expected more!

I think when you use a really good mic like a 416, it might expose the 286's limitations. I think the 286 would be a great bit of kit for a dynamic mic, and I thought someone I know at a radio station told me they had them in the studio..?
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got two of the DBX boxes...but I have a feeling that if I have the ISA430 MKII (like the one coming in the mail tomorrow) I probably wouldn't choose to use it even with a dynamic.

The 286a definitely is a budget do-it-all solution. It sounds good enough. I've made a living with it for...geez...4 years now. Haven't had anyone ever tell me that my audio wasn't "professional" sounding Smile But I have started to hear nuances in my tone that I'm not super fond of, so I am ready for a step up.
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

737 is overkill and you'll probably never use all the features your paying for
but If the Avalon sound is a must have ( very clean ) get the M5
UA is a good unit but a bit colored in its sound
Vox Box is a pricey channel strip...good unit IF you'll use all the features.

You should take a look at the BAE 312...their API clone, I can verify that it sounds great with the 103 and 416
also the BAE 1073 MPF which is their Neve clone sounds good, a bit heavier, thicker than the 312...but both BAE pre's are punchy and make the 103 & 416 really shine.
Also Hardy M1...the last Pre you'll ever need to buy.
Tubes? Go with Fearn.
chuckweis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
Well I've got two of the DBX boxes...but I have a feeling that if I have the ISA430 MKII (like the one coming in the mail tomorrow) I probably wouldn't choose to use it even with a dynamic.

The 286a definitely is a budget do-it-all solution. It sounds good enough. I've made a living with it for...geez...4 years now. Haven't had anyone ever tell me that my audio wasn't "professional" sounding Smile But I have started to hear nuances in my tone that I'm not super fond of, so I am ready for a step up.

I know what you mean. A 286a was my first unit, and I was happy with the sound, esp for the cost. Anything I was missing sound-wise, I would just adjust in Adobe afterward.

I landed up grabbing an original Symetrix 528 for a steal on Ebay a while back and a strip like that makes you realize what you're missing with the 286...at least in my exp.

The 528 is more "sophisticated" sounding, with a fantastic downward expander, and far better EQ...and that preamp chip they put in the orig 528 has some beef to it.

I'm not suggesting the 528 is the end-all be-all of channel strips, but again, next to my 286, it wasn't really even a debate.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the TLM 103 it paired well with a UA 610 Solo. My favorite pre for that mic in fact. It also paired well with my Senny 416 which I still have.
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manly TNT covers all the bases and gives you a 2nd channel for your 2nd mic.

Knobs for days. Thumbs up.
Buff-A

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like to have quality at a bargain price? Buy a used Studio Technologies Mic Preeminence preamp (two channels) for a couple hundred bucks. Send it to Jim Williams at AudioUpgrades.com. He'll make some mods for about $200 for one channel, and I believe he said he give a discount if you have him do both channels. I've talked to him at length about this, and according to him, and many others, a modded ST Mic Preeminence preamp is pretty much the equivalent of a Millennia (which would set you back many times the price). Great headroom and clarity.

"Designed by Jim Cunningham of Studio Technologies. Was used on the MJ Thriller album. Uses a chip transistor pair in front of Analog Devices MA332 = selected Ratheon NE5534 opamps. Great platform for mods, improvements." -Jim Williams (in another thread).

Comments by others:
----
"I would recommend it. It is a clear solid state transformerless sound. I have A-B ed with some big names and it holds up very well."

"I have the audio upgrades mod and have to say it's well worth it, and changes it from a "ho hum" kinda of piece into a stellar pre for capturing transience. For less than $500 total with the mod, it's a very well kept secret, and chosen more often that pre's 5 times as much in certain areas."

"It...propels this pre into the category of multi-$1k range pre's. Jim has done a bunch of mods for me, and I consider this one of the best investments."
----

These preamps go cheap these days because they're not so well known, but I have one and I'm very pleased with it's performance for VO, even before modification.

BTW, if you're wondering what microphone Michael Jackson used with this preamp, it was the Shure SM7b. A great mic for high-intensity vocals. The engineer was Bruce Swedien, and the producer was Quincy Jones (between the two, 33 Grammy wins and 93 Grammy nominations, not including 13 for MJ himself). MJ is a far-cry from a VO artist, but his gear was very carefully chosen by arguably the most renowned studio production team in history.

Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't believe pre-amps make a difference, try a Fearn VT1. As my buddy Donald James says, it's like taking a Ansel Adams photo of your audio. I agree. In fact, sometimes, it's almost too massive.
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to see if I'm thinking through this clearly...the channel strip plug-ins are in the software, so if going to a remote recording like SourceConnect or ISDN session, these wouldn't be part of the output..is that correct? Happy so far with 737 and 528, but that Focusrite all-in-one box looks pretty nice. Thoughts?
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayo wrote:
If you can't believe pre-amps make a difference, try a Fearn VT1.

You've talked me into it. PMing you my home address...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: