VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue Mic fan seeks Blue VO samples

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Blue Mic fan seeks Blue VO samples Reply with quote

I have a Blue Mic Mouse and have never been really wowed by it (15+ years) and am looking into staying in the Blue Mic universe for a new mic.
Does anyone have any experience in doing VO work with the following mics...

Blue Cactus
Blue Kiwi
Blue Blueberry
Blue Baby Bottle.

?
If you do, I'd love to hear some VO examples done on any of these mics.
I've watched George's shootout that incorporated the Baby Bottle but as I said in the comments there I HAD a Baby Bottle but wasn't impressed with it.
Maybe my chain at the time was not the best for it.
Regardless, please post back with anything you have here (comments, experiences, audio).
THANKS!
Moosey
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've never been wowed by the Mouse, which is one of their signature mics, why do you want to stick with Blue mics?

There are so many great mics out there for VO.

Note that the original factory that made Blue Mics in the Baltics no longer do so. They now make Violet Design mics which are amazing but rarely used outside of Europe.

If you want something pretty/retro that sounds awesome for the same money or less, go with Violet.

http://store.violet-design.com/3-microphones
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color me .... BLUE that you don't find the Mouse awesome!

Laugh

I've heard the 'Bottle is neat because you can get all the "Bottle Caps" and change the sound. I haven't interacted/talked with anyone that's used one though.

As Lance said, there are a TON of great mics out there in those price ranges. Maybe a nice Manley Ref C?

If you really want to blow your socks off, try a Sony C800G. Then again, spending $10,000 on a mic might be a bit much... Wink
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moosey,

I had a Mouse (the version with a transformer) for awhile. I liked it but sold it, which means nothing because I am a recovering mic-aholic.

At one time they made two versions: one with a transformer and the other, transformerless. I think the transformer mic had a dark blue mic body, and the transformerless version had a black mic body. HeyGuido/Don Brookshire of this fine establishment schooled me that the transformer version is the better-sounding one.
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Ellis wrote:
Moosey,

I had a Mouse (the version with a transformer) for awhile. I liked it but sold it, which means nothing because I am a recovering mic-aholic.

At one time they made two versions: one with a transformer and the other, transformerless. I think the transformer mic had a dark blue mic body, and the transformerless version had a black mic body. HeyGuido/Don Brookshire of this fine establishment schooled me that the transformer version is the better-sounding one.

Thanks Rob. I THINK Mine is black and I know I should know the darn color as I see it just about every day but I never really notice it. I bought it a LONG time ago before Blue Microphones was really a big thing (Skipper and a couple engineers?) and I'm pretty sure it's a black colored Mouse sooooo it's transformer less?
I definitely don't hate my Mouse I just think it's a little too uh, clear. It's always been missing that warmth and punch.
Anyone notice a major difference in quality since Blue moved assembly operations to China?
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mouse is to my ear a smooth mic. Trying out the version with the transformer might add that punch that you are missing.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Rob got it backwards. The black had the transformer circuit, the blue was transformerless.

Still have mine (black), and still love it... Though I only use it when I need to growl, which isn't often in the current environment.

Skipper is an old friend from my jazz days. Each of the original Blue mics was created for a specific purpose, and each lends a distinct color to the recording. The Mouse, for instance, was created to handle the high SPL of kick drums and bass amps.... Therefore its popularity with big booming voices. The Kiwi is popular for women's vocals, and so on.

The bottle (not the Baby) is the Swiss Army knife of the family, with its interchangeable capsules, but a full kit is pricey. Some say its larger capsule is kinda u87ish, but for the money, why not buy the real thing?

As a former studio guy, I like the Blues. Many engineers swear by them for specific uses, like acoustic guitar, horns, and vocals. But, VO, not so much, unless those response curves favor your particular voice. Mine works for me. Your mileage may vary.

That said, don't waste your time on the lower end of the spectrum. There's not much to see (or hear) there. It's the originals, at the high end, that shine.

Having listened to some of your demos, Moose, I don't see the Mouse doing much for your particular voice. Ken Nordine, on the other hand, would sound awesome on one.

I've rambled on way too long.... Hope I've been helpful. If you have other questions, PM me. Rolls Eyes
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very first "real mic" years and years ago was the Blue Snowball when it *first* came out. Oh how I thought I was so cool... lol
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Blue mic Reply with quote

I did this narration on a Kiwi > Hardy M1

https://www.facebook.com/RuggedJustice/videos/1303679959665722/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: