VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Been seeing a shure sm7b but theres no chemistry
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's better: A mic that sounds OK in your voice but has really low noise or a mic that sounds amazing on your voice but has some easy to deal with and imperceivable noise?

Now, I'm not saying the Aston sounds amazing...but if it does, only perceivable noise is going to be an issue for me.

SNR of a U87ai in Cardioid is 82dB, 416 is 81dB, Spirit is 80dB.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we're talking specifications on paper here, by degrees of db.

Some people are all about specs. Specs, specs, specs. Yes, indeed specifications are important, but they never tell the complete story.

On paper the iD22 has a better A/D converter than a $3,000 stand alone unit I compared it to. In practice, however, the $3,000 unit clearly sounded better. Many other factors than SNR, THD and others come into play.
SteveToner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think we're stuck down the rat hole...

As someone who has already accumulated too many microphones, I use some simple filters before even considering adding another one to the collection - what I've got now works for me fine, and so I would only be interested in another one if it is an upgrade. Noise level is one filter, and the published frequency response chart is another. And the Origin fails on both test. FOR ME. Your mileage may vary. That rise in response from 2k-10K is just not going to work with my voice. I like a presence peak, but I also like to see a dip in the response around 8K or it's going to sound sibilant on my voice.

So that's what I mean when I say "Not interested." Wink
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Not wanting to thread jack but... Reply with quote

FinMac wrote:
So, is CCIR and unweighted the same thing as 468 ?
Very loosely the CCIR is equivalent to the ITU-R 468-4. The ITU took over the specs from CCIR. To further complicate matters, there are a number of sub-classifications under the 468 specs (-1, -2, -3, -4) all with small (but almost irrelevant in our case) differences. Unweighted noise is almost an irrelevance to us as it's not weighted to the nominal 20-20KHz audible band.

I was trying to explain this to someone non-technical earlier, and the best analogy I could come up with was rainfall. I live on Long Island, so what's important to me?

US average rainfall: 61 inches (mean)
New York Average rainfall: 46 inches
Long Island average rainfall: 39 inches

The US average of 61 could be considered as unweighted, and maybe the NY state average of 46 as A-weighted... but the most relevant figure for me is the 39 inches which I would consider as the ITU 468 number.

Yeah... convoluted maybe, but I think it works Smile

Standards are good... so good in fact that they make new ones all the time! It gets to a point where the numbers actually become meaningless for comparison as everyone uses their own. One of my discoveries on this voyage was that Dolby tried to get a particular weighting adopted by the standards institutions because by manipulating the math and the weighting in a certain way, it made them look 6dB better Smile

It's also worth noting (if you are a cynic) that ITU is usually favored by European manufacturers, and A-weighting by US manufacturers... and that Aston is a UK company that chose to use the A-weighting... maybe the 18dB-A is superficially more acceptable than the 28dB or so that the ITU figure would have given? But I think you'd have to be a cynic to think that Wink

... and Steve... I totally get it. I have far too many mics myself and finding a valid reason not to consider another "Oooh! That looks interesting" microphone is a blessing!

Last edited by Bish on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveToner wrote:
Oh, I think we're stuck down the rat hole...

So that's what I mean when I say "Not interested." Wink

You know what you want and like, no one can fault you for that! cool
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke down and bought a TLM103, prudence be damned! It was $900 and they took back my shure sm7b so not too much damage
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you now have an awesome audio chain!
Buff-A

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It' not often mentioned, but mic sensitivity is relevant to the real-world concerns regarding 'self-noise.' The math is complex, but in a nutshell, the sensitivity rating of a given mic must be factored into the 'noise' equation - because it matters how much gain will be needed to reproduce a certain sound at a certain sound pressure level.

In other words, you can't be sure which mic is 'quietest' in a given situation by simply looking at the self-noise rating. Mic A could have a self-noise rating lower (better) than mic B, but if mic B has a higher sensitivity rating, then it would need relatively less added gain and therefore manifest a lesser degree of the available self-noise.

This self-noise/sensitivity ratio is what really matters regarding what your ears will hear, or not. The quietest mic I've been able to find, based upon these calculations, is the Shure KSM42, despite the fact that it's A-weighted self-noise rating is somewhat higher than several other mics in it's class. It has a very high sensitivity rating, which in effect counterbalances the self-noise rating, resulting a mic that should, at least mathematically, be able to reproduce the faintest of ambient sounds before being affected by it's own self-noise.

I've ordered a Shure KSM42, and I'll be comparing it to my CAD E100S and post-2014 Rode NT1, both of which are stellar VO mics, and have pretty much the lowest self-noise ratings in the industry. Speaking of which, the CAD has the lowest self-noise of these three mics, but due to superior sensitivity in the NT1, the NT1 has slightly better real-world self noise than the CAD. The Shure should, theoretically, outdo both of these in a live studio comparison test, despite having the highest self-noise rating of the three.

In layman's terms, if one wanted to record the faintest sound in a dead-quiet environment, the Shure KSM42 should be among the very best (if not THE best) you could find, despite it's 8dB A-weighted noise rating.

MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: SM7b Reply with quote

I'm always surprised when I see the CBS Late Show VO booth with the SM7 hanging on the boom. Even more surprised to hear it sounding so great on air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: