VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pop filter for MKH 50

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Pop filter for MKH 50 Reply with quote

I have a new MKH 50 arriving in the next couple of days. Have voiced several times on the 50 at another studio and thought I'd add one to my arsenal.
In the event I need a pop filter and might prefer a smaller diameter filter than my Stedman, perhaps something similar to the VAC-PR40, does any one know of a similar style filter that would work with the 50? (or a 416?)
was looking at the Hook Octo 842S but not so sure I want to stray from a circular design.
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one similar to this...

http://www.av-iq.com/avcat/ctl1642/index.cfm?manufacturer=avlex-corporation&product=hm-43

dwpthe3rd
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks like a possible solution...
the MKH50 is 25mm diameter...I wonder if the clamp system on the HM-43
would expand enough to work on a larger diameter mic? That's also a good template for fabricating one though.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VAC series of Popless screens work well with their two-screen adjustable-space design. I got one for my 416, though I actually use it now on another mic as I've switched to simply using the wind screen on my Senn. Worth a look...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=337617&gclid=CjwKEAiA3qXBBRD4_b_V7ZLFsX4SJAB0AtEVZImgGwgvSSpo2dYcrCbvZYMbPcKZaJCwo0nPIQIjDRoCyqjw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051678762%2C&Q=&A=details
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackedvo,
did you get the VAC with the clamp mount? as opposed to the RE20 mount?
found one of those and looks like it's worth a try. Been using the 50 for a couple of days now and my Stedman is working fine but if I could reduce the diameter that would be nice. Right now I have the 50 positioned where a pop isn't needed but if I need to get up closer for more personal reads it's good to have the pop screen in play.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
did you get the VAC with the clamp mount? as opposed to the RE20 mount?

I got the one called Popless Voice Screens VAC-PR40 3.5" Pop Filter for the HEIL PR40 and PR30 Microphones. Not sure why I did that (I think it was a combination of availability and the notion that it would work better with the Senn). It's not a perfect match by any means--I use a third-party shock mount so the attaching was interesting. But it works well.

Do note, however, that the claim to fame for this shield is transparency. It will not stop aggressive pops--but I consider it a second line of defense after technique so that wasn't my main concern.

I also have the Stedman and its a trooper--to my ear, though, it's not transparent. I'm looking forward to the day when my booth is silent enough that I can pull the mic back and still get good fat sound. Right now my space is small enough that things get boxy when I mount mics farther away. Then when I go to "real" studios and experience the headroom and nonboxy sound-- But I should stop torturing myself. For the moment Smile
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackedvo wrote:
The VAC series of Popless screens work well with their two-screen adjustable-space design. I got one for my 416, though I actually use it now on another mic as I've switched to simply using the wind screen on my Senn. Worth a look...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=337617&gclid=CjwKEAiA3qXBBRD4_b_V7ZLFsX4SJAB0AtEVZImgGwgvSSpo2dYcrCbvZYMbPcKZaJCwo0nPIQIjDRoCyqjw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051678762%2C&Q=&A=details

I looked at that and similar ones for my RE-20. I have the foam one made by and made for the RE-20 by Electrovoice. I see it used in countless radio broadcast stations, so I figure it has to be a workhorse like the RE-20.

It would be cool to see if there's an improvement with something like the one you linked. The foam one covers up the mic a lot, which I enjoy looking at. haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: