VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: the best cans in show business
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: the best cans in show business Reply with quote

Whos got the best cans in show business these days?

Not those cans you dirty devils get your minds out of the gutter!!!

Headphones! I was thinking about the harlan hogan ones maybe

Lets put the budget cap at... $225, the less expensive the better?

Thanks gang!!!

-Ian [/u]
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, if you pay for someone's name, you are paying more than you need to. Just get a par of Sony MDR-7506 cans for $79.99 from Amazon ($99.99 elsewhere). There are many other choices out there... good cans, and you may get many different suggestions... but the trusty 7506 are probably as close to an industry standard as you'll get. They are popular for a reason... they're good!
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig it thanks Bish!
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on what Bish said. I've been using the 7506 headphones for ages. Some find them a little "brighter" than they'd like, but a little nudge in the higher frequencies can help detect mouth clicks easier.

Should you decide to get the Sony MDR7506 cans, also consider ordering a pair of replacement pads/cushions for when the "vinyl" begins to flake off the original set: Wink
http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-1460-beyerdynamic-edt-200-velour-earpads-for-dt250-dt280-sony-mdr7506.aspx

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for velour ear pad covers for the Sonys. You might find them somewhere else for less however.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like any gear, they're tools...and the right tool for the right job makes our work easier!

So, it comes down to what are you using the headphones for?

Tracking? (wearing while recording)

Editing?

Mastering? (probably shouldn't use headphones!)

General listening?

Sure, you can use the same pair for all of the above. I find, however, that life is easier and I get better results when I use dialed in tools specific for the type of job I'm using them for.

Now, the Sony's that were mentioned are a great value and are widely used because of their price/performance/comfort/durability. They're solid, no argument from me there.

When I'm recording and decide to wear headphones, I have a few considerations:

- neutrality
- comfort
- noise isolation/leakage

For recording, I use the AKG K271 MKII's

They're a closed back headphone with an auto-mute feature that mutes the headphones if they're taken off your head. Since they're closed back (totally surround the ear and are sealed) they let very little to no sound escape and bleed into the microphone. They also have velour pads and an adjustable headstrap for comfort. I've worn them for hours without a problem. They also have replaceable cords.

For editing I need:

- neutrality
- comfort
- accuracy/detail

For editing I wear Audio Technica ATH-M70x headphones. They have an incredibly wide frequency range, are incredibly detailed and neutral. What you put through them is what you hear. The lows, mids and highs are balanced. They are also closed back headphones. They don't have velour pads, but are still comfortable. They work well for larger heads. I have to keep mine on the smallest adjustment.

For mastering? Honestly a good pair of monitors is much better. You simply can't replicate the sound of actual speakers in a room with the air around them moving with headphones. Waves has the NX plugin that they claim works for headphone mastering, but I've found it's not as good as the advertising claims.

For DJ work (yes, turntable type deal things) I have my Sennheiser HD-25 II's. They're on-ear vs. over-ear closed-back headphones. One earcup rotates so you can have one ear open to hear the environment. They have optional velour pads (I put them on). They seem to have more presence in the mids than other cans I own. They isolate very well -- which is something you need when DJ'ing.

For general listening? I have a few pairs of other headphones. Wireless and wired...and even some IEM's (in ear monitors).

I think the most important thing is to find a pair that works for you and gives you the results you want!
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Sony 7506. When the ear pads started flaking I replaced the vinyl pads on all of mine ( I keep 4 pair in the studio) with leather pads.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... 7506s are a known good set. I use KRK KNS-6400 cans. They are more neutral in the bass. 7506s are a hair bass heavy to my ear. Whatever set you get, just make sure they aren't creaky. Smile
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 7506's for 10 years, mostly in radio but a few years doing full time VO. Use to sing their praises regularly.

Until I got a pair or DT 770 Pros.

I soon realized my ears weren't getting all hurty and sensitive towards the end of every day, like they did with the 7506's.

While the 7506's are very comfortable on the head and great for shorter sessions, wearing them all day made them seem shrill and piercing, compared to the 770's.

Also, the 7506's lose considerable bass response as the cheap-o ear pads wear out (though they are replaceable).

Only complaint about the 770's so far is they don't fold up so they suck for travel, but that's a minor complaint.

New cans are the best though. Enjoy whatever you end up with!
daveynate
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a newbie question, but about those DT 770s, there are three ohm options: 32, 80 and 250. For editing on a Macbook, what's the best option?

http://davidgoldsteinvo.com
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The higher ohm versions will sound better but need more powerful headphone amps to drive them. Or so they say, I haven't compared them.

I got the 250 ohm version and they work playing music from a cell phone so I'm sure a Macbook would work.

The 600 ohm version, I would guess, really do need a dedicated headphone amp or at least something professional grade to drive them.

Maybe someone who has the 600 ohm version can attest first hand.
DenaliDave
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone use IEM's?

I saw on an ACX blog post it was discussed as a comfortable alternative to normal cans.

Speaking of IEM (in ear monitors) I saw some buzz on the web about some insanely cheap ones on Amazon. I figured, "Why not?!"...After all, they're only $15.

Holy cow!

Now, I wouldn't edit with them, or DJ/mix music on them, but for just general purpose "pleasure" listening, they're fantastic! I like the fact that they fit in the ear and the cord loops up and behind the ear. I even did the pillow test -- lay down on my side with a pillow. Yep! I could sleep on my side with these!

I'm actually considering getting a few pairs for folks I know as Christmas gifts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YOVI6UW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have entirely to many pairs of headphones...and these sound really, really good for the price.

Recently on my flights from Alaska to Mexico I wore a pair of AudioTechnica noise-cancelling headphones. What a difference! People tend to forget how much stress the engine noise causes. I felt so much more relaxed and less harried after spending 15+ hours flying/airport time.

Funny story...I ordered them off the Best Buy website for $198 to be picked up in-store. I wasn't thrilled with the price, but it was the same as Amazon and I needed them ASAP for my trip. When I got to the store to pick them up, the lady at the in store pickup counter informed me they were an extra $100 off, and I'd be refunded it ... so a total of $98! Not to shabby! They have the classic "Audio Technica" sound and I did a side by side with a pair of Bose noise cancelling at the store...They're about 90% as good, and cost alot less. Not quite as sexy looking, and I've always found Bose sound to be...less than impressive for the price.
AlanTaylor
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both the 7506's and the DT 770's. I use the 7506's in my booth and the DT 770's for editing. They're both very good. Very balanced and realistic sound. For me, most headphones over emphasize the bass. These are great. I do think the 770's are a little more comfortable if you have to wear headphones for a long period.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verry happy w 7506's thanks!!
Dan DeMann

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio Technica ATM-M50X here. I have the Gunmetal Gray ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: