VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Okay, first crack at Online Software Training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Okay, first crack at Online Software Training Reply with quote

Hi gang,

after the much-deserved.. how do I say... schlonging for my 'nba league pass' attempt, I would like to invite critique for my first attempt at an Online Software Training audition

Don't Hold Back!!

https://soundcloud.com/ian-campbell-347703967/iantemplecommander

I sort of have a falling inflection on each read; is that something that bothers anyone on this take?

Thanks!!

-Ian

PS I've traded in my Shure SM7b for a Neumann TLM103 which sounds a HELLUVA lot better IMO. I've also disconnected my UA Solo 610 preamp from the audiochain since I couldn't really get a sound I liked out of it (yet)

Thanks everybody!! So looking forward to seeing some of your lovely faces for the very first time tonight at the 'Backbone Not Included' group that Phillip is hosting!

-Ian
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy! I'm not one of the big dogs here so my brief critique may not carry the same weight as other esteemed members; however you asked and a couple of quick impressions.... Smile

a) You sounded as though you're in a race to be the first one to reach the finish line. (I think you won)... couldn't tell you the subject matter because it was difficult to follow your thought(s).

b) Voice sounded a bit too "wooly" or thick in the bottom and not what I expect to hear from the tlm 103. And of course you know what they say about opinions. cool

You have a nice voice. That is all.

dwpthe3rd
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold your frikkin' horses, man. Where's the fire? It was way too fast and you edited every pause and breath out. You turned a minute piece into 40 seconds of nonstop words!

The key to training videos is you should sound like you know what you're talking about and you are explaining new information either to people who are already savvy about the industry, or newbies who want to keep their jobs and need to learn more. You have to sound like you care. You have to act like you want them to understand. I heard none of that in this piece.

You have not listened to or absorbed enough from existing e-learning or training videos. Study, slow down, try it again.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what bruce said - relax - imagine you are in a classroom talking to peers about something you know a lot about.

Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only echo the above replies. I found nothing wrong with your voice itself. But the pace was way too fast for the listener (me) to capture and digest what was being spoken. Whether training videos... or audios... last several minutes or several hours, the original concept of the author is "To instruct or train the listener". I would take a deep breath, and make another recording. But this time, speed is not the requirement of the client. Make the delivery "casual". Don't keep an eye on the clock.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody!

Duly noted.

Would you generally edit out breaths with room tone for an audition like this, or leave them in?

Also regarding the mix being, as dwp said, 'wooly' or bottom heavy, should I EQ out the bottom frequencies?

-Ian
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personal opinion - do not edit OUT breaths - it just sounds un-natural. if you have a particularly heavy breath drop it by 12-15db.

again - personal preference - ymmv.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to eliminate breaths? Don't breathe ... so heavily that it's noticeable or bothersome. It's a bad habit. Learn how to open your throat when you inhale to cut down on the restrictive rush of air sound. These numbers are very approximate, but keep your lungs 25% to 75% full of air while you read so there's never a rush to inhale or the need to use the last of your breath to finish a line, followed by a giant sucking sound*.

Any "lower end" in this sample may be from proximity to your mic. Try pulling back a few inches. I'm hearing every little mouth noise and that may also come from being too close. Changing the EQ on every project is a bad habit to avoid too. You need to find the mic/preamp/mic positioning/sound deadening settings that work best for you and stick with them unless there's a good reason not to. Consistency saves you time and worry if nothing else.

B

---
* "giant sucking sound" ©1992 Ross Perot

-
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you impart information...

I think it's important to have those little and natural "pauses." This allows the listeners brain to better absorb what the ears have just heard.

Can you imagine Lincoln's Gettysburg address being delivered at a mechanical machine-gun clip?

Here is an article I just dug up that might be applicable to what we do as audio "presenters" of information.

http://sixminutes.dlugan.com/pause-speech/
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually duck breaths that stand out with a fade (not complete out) rather than a volume drop over the section.

The falling intonation is too much, but also there's this NY "yadda-yadda-yadda" tone where you go down a minor third on some words and it sounds sarcastic.

And yes, slow down.

You have a good mic and preamp. What are your cables and interface? It doesn't sound like a TLM 103.

Good luck.
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, to stick with the Ross Perot analogies, I did have a bit of a "Can i Finish???" Vibe
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, after years of doing this, I still catch myself now and then in the middle of a long E-Elearning passage and stop because I know I'm speeding up and not fully engaged.

Being directed live in a session is a great way to learn too because they will stop you any time you're pressing even just a little bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: