VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the CAD e100s "self noise" normal now?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Is the CAD e100s "self noise" normal now? Reply with quote

Hi guys... Picked one of these up based on samples I'd heard. It's a very good sounding mic for me. However, there IS more low level noise compared to other mics I own. Kinda odd given its low noise specs.

Can I assume this to be normal and not a quality issue? I know there have been posts here regarding issues with the CAD, but I'm afraid I don't know what to look for in "auditioning" this mic. Despite the noise, it doesn't seem to take away from the quality and sonic capabilities of this mic.

Mike Delgaudio recently put up a YouTube video talking about this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMiUv8_5wM4 He determined that its hot output contributes to the issue.

Thought I'd verify it with members here before making a decision whether to replace or return it.

Thanks
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I was a former CAD E100s owner. One of the early adopters.
It sounded great for the first two-to-three years and had little self noise. Then it started getting noisy and dull sounding.

I found that the output on the CAD was really low - making the self noise specs a little deceptive. Some others I know have found this to be true too.

Currently, I'm using a Rode NT-1. The self-noise is 4.5 dB-A and the output is hot. Much hotter than the E100s So it truly sounds super-quiet in terms of self noise.

good luck!
JWard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lance.. yes I saw where you directed another poster to your NT1 samples. Great work BTW... I'm a fan! You mentioned that mic was brighter, but not too much. That's important because I'm a baritone that's prone to sibilance. My TLM 102 seems to accentuate that with its 6k peak.. the CAD, not so much. Hmm?? Something to think about..

Thanks again for the info

Jonathan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: