VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adobe Audition 1.5: Records sped up sometimes! Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Adobe Audition 1.5: Records sped up sometimes! Help! Reply with quote

Hi gang--

I hope someone can help me solve this weird mystery. I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 on Windows. Sometimes, without me doing anything different, it records me at double time!

If I'm recording, for example, 15 :30 segments in a row, about three of them will sound like chipmonks have taken over my studio, and I don't notice the problem 'til playing back the take.

It's annoying and time-consuming when it's just me, but when I've got a client in on the session, it's very embarrassing.

Have any of you heard of this? What is causing it? And, HOW DO I MAKE IT STOP?

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of your setup but it could be a sample rate setting either in the program itself or through your soundcard. Something like your recording at 22k and playing back at 44k. i guess I would check audition first and make sure your recording at 44k or higher. If I remember correctly that setting is somewhere in the record button area.

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about decaf?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been mentioned as a set-up issue. Do check you soundcard settings in AA.

Also, check to see how much space is available on the recording hard drive. When not enough space is available - AA tends to go crazy. Record your files to an outboard HD if at all possible, due to conflicts with the operating system and the recording program. This "work-around" will save a lot of hair pulling. (and in my case, I need what little hair I have left... Rolls Eyes )

It is most likely your settings, I think I did this once and was chagrined with the solution. Another program had taken over and I had it set at 44.100 kHz; the program I was using was unable to set the soundcard at the requested 48,000 kHz. Didn't sound pretty...

Oh, both programs were open... and closed and opened numerous times.

Not politically correct, but.. Merry Christmas
Toodles

Frank F
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Here's the thing, though...

I'll open a new waveform, and record. It'll be normal.
I select everything and delete it, record over... might be normal, might be fast. No changes on my part. Just random.

OR

I'll open a new waveform, and record. It'll be fast.
I select everything and delete it, record over... it will be normal. It's never fast two times in a row. I can never see it coming...

OR

I'll open a new waveform, and record. It'll be fast!
If I select everything and delete it, and record over again... it'll be normal-- with no other adjustments.

Does that change anyone's advice? I'm definitely unable to change my caffeine intake level.

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that does not change the parameters.

Have fun!

Frank F
Gp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had weird things happen with mine...I have an auto feature on the soundcard software that is supposed to change the rate as needed. However, I have often found it selected on 22khz. I now use the manual selection and seem to have less problems.
It could also be the AA has been corrupted somehow. You might want to consider uninstalling and then reinstalling it and see if that helps.
If it doesn't perhaps a good swift kick???
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record a wave and then before deleting note the sample rate of the wave. Delete it and re-record and note the sample rate and see if it changed. Seems to me if you record a wave and delete it and try to record something new in that box without selecting "new" it tries to squeeze everything into the old (deleted) waveform box. I hope I'm understanding you. If you record a wave and need to record a new wave I would open a new recording instance.

Steve

sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-read your post and I think before you record a waveform check to see that the sample rate is constantly at 44k or 48k You might be able to doulble click on the selection to make it permanent.

Steve

TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy,
It might help to give a rundown of your equipment, such as are you using a PC or Mac, is playback through the sound card or through an external device (Firebox, Mbox, etc...)

I'm stuck on thinking the playback sample rate is somehow changing.

Is Clip Time Stretching turned on? It's done in Multitrack view I believe.

I'll mess with my Audition 2.0 and see if I can replicate that.

The Voice of Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: