VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Iso-Booths and Floor Capacity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Question about Iso-Booths and Floor Capacity Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

For those of you with Iso booths, how did you calculate your floor load capacity?

I have a rare opportunity to pick up a used enhanced WR at a RIDICULOUS price, but the only concern is it falling through my floor!

This would be in a house, so I can assume the floor capacity is 30-40 lbs. per sq. foot to meet code.

The booth is 3.5 x 5, so that would be 17.5 sq. ft. at a load limit of 525 to 700 lbs. (I know, most folks wouldn't do less than 4x4, but it's almost the same dimensions as my current "Blanket Booth", and I've never felt uncomfortable in that, so that won't be an issue for me, personally.)

Of course, the booth weighs 1205 lbs assembled.

Am I missing anything, or is this a no go fo sho sho?

Thank you in advance for your insight and advice!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an engineer but I have played one in a few narrations.

Let's say your booth has four feet under it that it sits on. Each foot will receive a load of about 300 pounds (1200/4). Imagine four 300 pound football players standing there. Some are 5 feet apart and others are 3 feet from each other. Can the room handle this from your experience walking around in there?
Have you tried jumping up and down a bit to see how the floor reacts?

Unless it's some kind of tissue paper house in Japan, I'd say go for it. If you're not convinced, see if an engineering student might be interested in using your situation for a class project.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: First thought that pops into mind... Reply with quote

Would weight be better distributed if the booth was placed on a thick 4 x 8 piece of plywood? (I reserve the right to be totally wrong)

Dave

dwpthe3rd
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bruce and Dave!

No tissue paper floor Japan apartment anymore, Bruce! I've been down in Port Orchard WA (about an hour south of Seattle) for about a year now.

I don't think you're completely wrong, Dave as someone in the VO Pros FB group suggested placing a mat or platform underneath to distribute the weight more evenly as well.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't a typical booth weigh about the same as a refrigerator? My booth was on the 2nd floor of my house in Ohio, and is on the main floor of our current ranch house which has a finished basement under the main floor.

No problems so far, fingers crossed.

PS, my booth sits on casters which I assume helps distribute the weight.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

The general consensus is that there would be no issues on the first floor, or in the external garage which is also resting on a concrete slab, and I would "probably" be fine, even on upper floors. (So sayeth George Whittam.) After all, surely these companies would factor this into their builds, otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell them with all of their customers complaining about destroyed floors.

However, measuring out the potential spaces this would rest in, our house (which would be a prime candidate for "Hoarders," by the way) would be better served by a number of other home improvements than a booth install.

I already have two acoustically treated spaces that sound great and are quiet 90 percent of the time; I think I'm trying to solve a problem I don't have, not to mention settling on a booth that's "almost perfect" for my needs (why settle for less? Wink
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3.5 x 5 Whisperroom (cut down from a 5 x 7). The 5 x 7 was on a slab, but the 3.5 x 5 is in a bedroom over a crawl space with no problem. The only reason I cut it down was to give me more space in the room. I don't think you'll have any problems. Just wanted to mention this in case you change your mind.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks, John!

That is good to know! Unfortunately I believe the seller managed to sell the booth. My loss! But as we've all seen, these deals crop up at least a couple times a year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: