VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sigh....so now what?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Sigh....so now what? Reply with quote

So with Voices bringing in the Union and Agents side of Voicebank to its site, what happens now?

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was what we all expected when they took over VoiceBank.

Not sure...but it is a disruption of the system. At least here in the US.
In Canada, the UK and Europe, not so much I don't think.

Time to expand your horizons beyond our US borders.

NOW, though, the Union may have to perk up it's ears and see what's happening.

Who ever thought that Morgan Freeman & Meryl Streep would ever be on V.con.! Gasp
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizden wrote:

Time to expand your horizons beyond our US borders.

Gasp

No truer words have been spoken there!

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a huge threat to the non union vo industry. But I also think it's the catalyst needed to bring much of the work back to the union.

The vo industry needed something to change the landscape of non union vo to the point where they felt threatened. The non union industry detests VDC and for good reason.

But the fact of the matter is, VDC cannot use the same unethical business tactics with union vo as they have with non union. Union vo has protections in place that prevent this.

I've heard fears that agents will not be able to have access to the buyers the way actors have experienced when booking non union gigs with VDC. But this, again, is not legal in union vo. VDC will just be a facilitator to auditions the same way Vbank was. At least for now.

VDC needed to reach out to union vo as the non union industry has abandoned them in droves, both individual actors as well as non union agents.

As chair of the LA VO committee at the union, as well as a member of the National VO Committee, this is our number one priority. Staff is enthusiastically on board. I cannot guarantee the outcome. What I do know is this is indeed the first time in 20 years I can see a possibility of the work, or at least a good percentage of the work, coming back to the union force. My strategy is to find a way to bring more buyers and actors into the union, with incentives for both. It will mean drastic changes within the structure of the union. It's doable. But it's going to take a lot of work and compromise. If successful, it's a win win for all!

But no matter the outcome, again, the biggest threat is to the non union vo actor.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, thanks (as always) for your insights, AND for your never-ending efforts in support of union VO actors.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were it possible I would join SAG-AFTRA today. As far as I am able to tell it isn't possible. Do I need to join SAG-AFTRA? No.

Meanwhile back on Earth. The efforts of the union, agents, WOVO, angry bloggers and social media have had a zero measurable impact on the Canadian business.

To be clear. Evidence based, not anecdotal, but real, measurable evidence. That is evidence one can measure, even someone not associated or interested in the least in our business.

VDC has attracted meanful investment, has expanded disproportionately to its "adverse publicity" both in terms of profits and membership (subscribers). The latter is up from roughly 40,000 to 60,000 bums on seats. Like it or not VDC is a successful business and it ain't going anywhere any time soon.

With a willing and open mind I joined WOVO to be a part of something and to offer, when appropriate, help with what they were doing. A few months later I left. $75 I'll never see again but other than that no loss at all. They lost me! Internationally experienced VO with 28 years under his belt. I used to lecture undergraduates in Law. BUSINESS LAW! Corporate experience? My team managed $18 billion when that was considered a lot of money. UK union member and probably the best looking VO in the world. How much value would you attach to someone like that batting for your team? We already know the answer. As my Yorkshireman father would say "Nowt".

DUH!

We choose to attach ourselves to some of the most parasitic web businesses on the planet using the most lame excuses for so-doing.

"I use Facetube to keep in touch with colleagues and friends!" No you bloody don't! Visit, phone/skype, email, text in that order. A pox on your hypocrisy!

"We want a united world, lovely for everyone" say the wind chime headed bean bag seated bosses of social media sites forgetting to add "and keep our $50billion personal fortunes".

Here are the two greatest jokes in the VO world.

The Iranian Double pause. Not a real vo art/skill. It is about all the invented knowledge associated with our business.

The International Voiceoverist Disciplinary Committee of Gstaad. Gstaad is in Switzerland A NEUTRAL country. Switzerland famously has no opinions on anything at all. While the rest of the world fights amongst itself Switzerland gets richer and richer and richer.

STOP FAFFING about. Faffing about is NEVER a good thing.

Want to succeed/survive in our business in current market conditions? I will and have cheerfully, free of charge told people exactly what to do. I have only told people who I believe have a product to sell. For the most part, I have watched everyone else I have told cheerfully sit back and NOT do as they were told and then pay someone else for complete and utter BS.

The above has been carefully filtered. Call me or visit and I'll tell you what I really think.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?!! The Iranian Double Pause isn't real? And I thought I had it nearly perfected. Hell, I was going to teach it at VO seminars.

Next you're going to tell me Santa isn't real. AH AH AH. Don't you dare.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, i don't get it. i can't be the only one doing well in this business without belonging to (a) VDC or (b) the union? i was on VDC for a short time many years ago, but dropped them and the others for, mostly, the same reason. i'm a salesman, we all are. i hustle & bust my butt scratching up work all over the world. some are big jobs that continue for years, some are tiny one-timers, but it's all biscuits in the pantry. bob - i respect you immensely. i believe you are a good person with a good heart doing good work for others, but, as i sit here in the formerly coal-strewn hills of southern illinois, the union doesn't want me ... scratch that ... they don't even know i'm here & i'm pulling money out of their pocket.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
What?!!
Next you're going to tell me Santa isn't real. AH AH AH. Don't you dare.

I am not that dumb! Christmas gifts don't get under the tree by themselves y'know! Santa is both real AND proof that magic really exists.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait! InVoDiCo (of Gstaad) isn't real?
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot appreciate value if you've never experienced the value something may bring. One of the greatest detriments of our industry is that the majority are unable to join the union and the benefits that come from working union. One only needs to enjoy those benefits once to realize that it's worse without them. From the outstanding health care, to residuals, to pension, to the legal representation that comes with your dues, if you are fortunate in that every job you do bring these benefits, you will sorely miss them if/when they are gone. But to never enjoy them, you know not what you are missing.

There was indeed a time in history where the majority of working vo actors enjoyed these benefits. Not so much anymore. My goal is to reverse this, bringing with this reversal the ability for the majority to not just enjoy the benefits from being Union, but to make it available to join without losing one's current business and income. It is possible. But it's gonna take some radicle changes in the union's business model.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's gonna take some radical changes in the union's business model.

so --- there's a swamp to drain?

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha union ha ha ha. Must be nice. Ha ha agency representation ha ha ha must be nice.

Like Todd I'm keeping the lights on in spite of being a girl and being in the god-damned hinterlands.
Isn't the whole VDC/Voice Bank thing a tempest in a teapot?
Is it a consolidation of wealth and assets?

Who is actually affected by it? I'm not trying to be a jerk— I just don't know. It's not having an impact on Camp Cooper.

By the way Philip— I'm out of Jelly Babies. Fancy a visit?
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a sole proprietor, i save what i can, when i can ... the thought of "pension" is so far off my radar as to be mythical. knock on ... something ... i have NEVER been stiffed by a client, large or small, in nearly 20 years*. every job i do puts food in my family's mouth, a roof overhead, fuel in the tank & something extra in the bank every now and then. at the "time in history where the majority of working vo actors enjoyed these benefits." i would NOT be enjoying them. i would be in corporate business development or operating a back-hoe somewhere - i certainly would not be talking out loud for money in my basement. those doors were CLOSED to people like me in the ... hinterlands. new york, LA, chicago, sure ... but not where most of the people in the united states actually live. in the 90's when al gore invented the internet (at least when it came to my neighborhood) all that changed & we could market ourselves anywhere we wanted ... and we did. my 1st studio cost me thousands to build - and a long time to pay off. it's better now, the work is steady, and i'm even able to provide some work for others. i'm 52 years old. i don't imagine i'll ever be in the union, and i'm good with that. i've never experienced malaria ... but so far, i've done ok without it.

* i just realized that sometime this summer i will have been voiceoverizing for 20 years ... imagine that.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
By the way Philip— I'm out of Jelly Babies. Fancy a visit?

Anytime y'like!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: