VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO Resume...is there such a thing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: VO Resume...is there such a thing? Reply with quote

Other than your demo, is there such a thing as a VO Resume? I know there is IMDB and whatnot, but what if you're not on that level? I ask because I recently did some ADR work and was Taft-Hartley'd and they asked me to fill out the usual tax forms, but also asked for a VO Resume.

Can any of you VO luminaries shed some light on this for me?

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short. Yes there is.
I use a form that has my info in the header
Then the body is structured like

Project / Role / Director-Company-Client
xxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

Then education/training at the bottom.

It's also abridged to keep it at 1 page with just major gigs. Commercials are usually listed as " List available on request" or just list a few.
I actually use an excel sheet to edit it then copy it to a word doc that's convertible to pdf.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done a VO Resume in ages now that I'm a known quantity with decades of experience. However I did come up with a bio, which might suffice in your case, for a VO marketing group a year ago, and I did do a resume for audiobooks a few years ago for a publishing house trying to impress them with everything I'd ever done.

If your resume is short at this time I'd consider just a short statement highlighting the more impressive sounding products or networks you've voiced for.

Quote:
Bruce has been an actor for over 40 years in Television, Film, Radio, Theater and now behind the mic in his own studio in Portlandia. He’s a credible Storyteller for things fanciful to technical. While he is not a Zoo, he has played almost every Animal you can imagine, for adults as well as kids. As a life-long performing Actor, he brings Characters and normal people to life.

Bruce also relishes the Technical read, easily handling complex Medical and Scientific copy. He’s a persuader too, recording hundreds of Political commercials each election year and many more in between. His national work this past year includes voiceovers for Wheat Thins, a series of Target Christmas commercials, and Mary Brown’s Famous Chicken and Taters, big you know in Canada, eh?

Quote:
Bruce Miles - Audio Book Résumé

Available on Audible.com:
http://www.audible.com/search/ref=sr_1_1_nsrch?searchNarrator=Bruce+Miles&qid=1359060237&sr=1-1

- Fiction
The Dirty Parts of the Bible: A Novel (2011)
Ivory: A Legend of Past and Future (2012)
Big Lake (2013)
Big Lake Lynching (2013)
Crazy Days in Big Lake (2013)
Big Lake Blizzard (2014)

- Fantasy
Blackstaff: Forgotten Realms: The Wizards (2012)
Bloodwalk: Forgotten Realms: The Wizards (2012)
Darkvision: Forgotten Realms: The Wizards (2012)
Frostfell: Forgotten Realms: The Wizards (2012)
The Ogre's Pact: Forgotten Realms: The Twilight Giants (2012)
The Giant Among Us: Forgotten Realms: The Twilight Giants (2012)
The Titans of Twilight: Forgotten Realms: The Twilight Giants (2012)

- History (through University Press)
Bound Away: Virginia and the Westward Movement (2010)
Davy Crockett (2011)
Civil War Leaders (2010)

- Business (through University Press)
Why CEOs Fail (2012)
The Customer Experience Edge (2012)

Available through America Two Publishing: http://americatwopublishing.com/featured_product.html

History - For the Love of Country series: Tales of American Heroism, The Fringe of War, Patriots & Countrymen, Struggle for the South, Revolutionary Women

Available through Remedia Publications (Children’s) http://www.rempub.com/

Hundreds of short stories for children including:
My Mother Was a Coyote (Pecos Bill)
I Was Born With a Hammer in My Hand (John Henry)
I Made the Mississippi River (Paul Bunyan)
I Ride Panthers For Fun (Sally Crockett)
I Walked 10,000 Miles in My Bare Feet (Johnny Appleseed)
I Can Pick Up a Whale With One Hand (Captain Stormalong)

Pearson Digital Learning

Over 100 recorded hours of History, Social Studies and Math courses and textbooks, K-12.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like bruce, i haven't done one in a while - but i did what i called a VO 1 sheet. it incorporated a headshot & big picture work history & studio set-up + contact info. really basic.

Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good info....I have a pretty good list of noteworthy clients that I can mention, but I'll keep it short and sweet and add a headshot as directed.

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This here is page 3 of my acting/directing resume. I don't say "[more] on request", nobody has ever requested. I use the sidebar to fill in "other stuff I do / have done" and the "life" parts of my career.

Here's the whole shebang. The one thing I always keep updated is my current game and fave TV show.

Deeebz Resume
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. It depends on who, what, and where you are marketing your resume.

Impressive people will only be impressed with impressive work. So if your goal is to shop a major market agent, they will be more impressed with 5 union class A spots than 50 non union spots, even if they ran nationally.

More often than not I have found no one really cares what you have done in the past. They want to hear what you do with their current audition or project.

A body of work might get you into an agent's office or an audition. But for big stuff, and I appreciate most here are not pursuing this level of vo, agents and buyers are looking more at social media followers than credits. We are talking about fan based vo, such as animation, games, audio books, etc. These buyers look at social media followers the way a network looks at Neilsen Ratings. It's a built in audience.

I have a substantial body of work on IMDB that has often closed more doors than it has opened. From my age to where I've worked, often this can taint a buyer's opinion and decision. Nothing you can do about that.

What I do suggest to all is to think about what on your resume will impress. It's not that you did a Tide commercial that will impress. It's who you worked with on that commercial. And that added info will separate those who pad the resume with BS and those with honest credits.

For instance, anyone can provide a laundry list of credit:
Commercials
Tide
McDonald's
Honda

More impressive would be this resume example:
Commercials
Tide: National TV, Chiat/Day Advertising, Joe Schmoe, writer/producer
McDonalds: Radio, Bell Advertising, Jane Doe, writer/producer
Honda: Online campaign, Leo Burnett Advertising, Bob Smith, write/producer

That additional info of who/where you have worked, who you know and who knows you, has more value than just your list of credits. It's this extra mile of info that will impress agents and other buyers. It's the lack of this info that often brings with it rejection from the agents. If you have a relationship with a buyer that the agent also has, you are an easier sell to that buyer, and you bring value to the agent. If you have a relationship with a buyer the agent doesn't know, you bring the value of a new relationship.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:

More impressive would be this resume example:
Commercials
Tide: National TV, Chiat/Day Advertising, Joe Schmoe, writer/producer
McDonalds: Radio, Bell Advertising, Jane Doe, writer/producer
Honda: Online campaign, Leo Burnett Advertising, Bob Smith, write/producer

That additional info of who/where you have worked, who you know and who knows you, has more value than just your list of credits. It's this extra mile of info that will impress agents and other buyers. It's the lack of this info that often brings with it rejection from the agents. If you have a relationship with a buyer that the agent also has, you are an easier sell to that buyer, and you bring value to the agent. If you have a relationship with a buyer the agent doesn't know, you bring the value of a new relationship.

This +1
I learned this format and reasoning from my 1st On Camera Agent. A true talent Jedi he was and still is.
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice nugget, Bob. Thanks to all who reached out via email to assist. It was much appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: