VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Promo items

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Promo items Reply with quote

Pardon me if this has already been discussed, but I did a search and didn't see it.

Does anyone do promo items such as coffee mugs, notepads, mouse pads, refrigerator magnets, etc.? I recently watched a video where Erik Sheppard said he thought in the iPad age the desktop items were a thing of the past and a good bottle of wine was in, but...is that right?

Back in the `90's I was told a local voice talent was the #1 go-to guy for corporate video departments and Turner/CNN. The key to his success seemed to be that he would pop in from time to time and leave liberal amounts of coffee mugs and notepads on everyone's desk.

I tried that myself, but in the post-9/11 world there's no "popping in" unless you have a door card. A lot of front desk receptionists and security guards were left with very attractive notepads, however.

So does anyone else do the promo items? What do you do, and what kind of returns do you see?
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Promo items Reply with quote

Art wrote:
The key to his success seemed to be that he would pop in from time to time and leave liberal amounts of coffee mugs and notepads on everyone's desk.

I'll respectfully cast a large and dark shadow of doubt over this presumption. Chances are that the key to his success was that he did good work. AND he happened to deliver mugs and notepads.

In fact, the busiest Spanish-speaking voice talent here in Miami has been sending branded office supplies once or twice a year for at least a decade. Staplers, letter openers, tape dispensers, pens, highlighters, Post-it notes, etc. I see his stuff in every studio I go to. But the reason he works a lot is 'cause he's really good.

All the promo items in the world won't get you hired if you're not right for the gig, though they might help you and your phone number be remembered now and then.

I speak from experience in that I did LOADS of lumpy mail/drop-off promo items back in the day, and can pretty confidently say that those items never helped me book a gig that I wasn't right for.
Art
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Promo items Reply with quote

DougVox wrote:
I'll respectfully cast a large and dark shadow of doubt over this presumption. Chances are that the key to his success was that he did good work. AND he happened to deliver mugs and notepads.

Yes, I think we can assume he did good work first and foremost. That went without saying. But given that many other people are also capable of good work, including the second busiest guy in town, who did not do so many dropoffs, I'm wondering how important that flow of branded office supplies was. Given this was the `90's, do people still appreciate that stuff, or is at as Erik Sheppard suggested, old hat?
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subs...

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to buy lunch for my clients every now and then. Recently sent pizza and salad to a staff of 24. I try to time it when they are in crunch mode to meet a critical deadline and don't have time to leave the office for lunch.
AlexLee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: EDOs Reply with quote

I've spent a lot of time in b2b marketing and I can tell you from experience, it's really hard to get noticed through direct mail or promo gifts. I found that the best way to get in front of a prospect is to set an appointment.

So, how do I accomplish this? With an Executive Door Opener campaign.

Effective EDO campaigns can yield response rates in the 30-35% range, versus low single digits for other campaign types that are typically less costly and aimed at larger target populations. Where you have done due diligence on C-level prospects, these campaigns are game changers.

An Executive Door Opener campaign is, simply put, a campaign designed to open the door of a prospect you’ve be dying to communicate with, typically a prospect with an executive-level position and often one that has proven to be unreachable due to safeguarding by an effective gatekeeper who screens calls, mail, and appointments. We have all been there Smile

These campaigns generally consist of a brief note (with a call to action) that accompanies a relatively inexpensive item that is (sometimes literally) the key to a closely related high-dollar item that the prospect will receive when he/she schedules a brief appointment with you.

If you are interested in the details, I have a Trello board with more information here:
https://trello.com/b/xIBeUXNV

Good luck!
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, these sorts of marketing goodies used to be commonplace and very successful. From mugs to pens, the world of vo and those who were the top money makers sent out all kinds of promo items. One year I had fortune cookies made. The fortune said, "You will soon receive Bob Bergen's demo who will be perfect for your next ad campaign." The next day they got my demo. And I got a ton of work from that marketing.

I've not done this sort of marketing for close to 20 years. But back in the day, we all did this with great results. Our agents used to give us their master contact list to market our demos and whatnot. Agents don't do this anymore. They are much more territorial since the rise of home studios. But they don't have to provide us with their contacts. There ain't a single buyer out there you cannot find online.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to do all kinds of stuff that worked - for example -

1. print out contracts, sign them, wad them up & spill coffee on them - then stuff them in an envelope with a note that says "please don't throw this away again ... it's REALLY important."

2. collect baby shoes & send one out with a note "just trying to get my foot in the door."

... but not so much anymore.

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:

2. collect baby shoes & send one out with a note "just trying to get my foot in the door."

I wear a prosthesis. When I was about 18 I went to a huge ad agency, went to the president's office, opened the door, took off my foot and tossed it in saying,”Just wanted to get my foot in the door.”

......this did not end well. But hey, it’s all about taking risks.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of cool swag from a number of my fellow voiceoverists. I am very pleased to have it, but me having it is doing them absolutely no good. cool
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just moved up another notch in my book bob.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: