VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Completely OT: Pros and Cons about Hulu?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Completely OT: Pros and Cons about Hulu? Reply with quote

I watch, maybe 18 hours of TV per week. And, without even a single premium channel (I'm one service tier above basic in order to watch MSNBC), my cable TV provider is extorting me for $140 a month (OK, that includes internet). Two months ago, they DOUBLED the monthly rental fee for the cable modem (I know that's nothing to do with TV), so I'm going to buy my own.

It appears Hulu will allow me to watch what I want on my computer. Does anyone here subscribe to Hulu and, if so, can you please share your thoughts on it?

I wish I didn't have to rely on the cable company for internet, either. Thieves.

Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have cable internet too. For TV we have an HD antenna on the wall for local network stations. I have the USTV app on my tablet for MSNBC, etc...works quite well. And free. There's a paid version (very small fee) but every time they update seems I have to pay again, so I stick with the free version now.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried Hulu’s TV service and were disappointed with all the glitches. We’ve been fairly satisfied with YouTube’s TV service, and for $35 a month not bad. DW wants more than that so we have Amazon’s service which is in a sense free with their Prime shipping deal. We also get a couple of premium channels such as Britbox through Amazon. Our cable bill dropped when we dropped the TV portion but they’re still making us pay $85/month for mediocre level Internet. They have no competition in our neighborhood.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hulu works pretty good for us, along with Amazon Prime.
I have...ahem "other" sources to get my tv entertainment. We mainly get a premium channel while a fave show is in season, and once its gone, so are we.

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dumped the traditional TV/Phone/Internet contracts when I sold my house back in 2016. Don't miss it at all. Have 100 up/down Fios at about $50 per month. I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime. I mostly watch Netflix. Except when I'm binging a show on Hulu - which I tend to do. I have the cheap subscription which gives you ads. I don't mind ads per se, however..... on Hulu it's the SAME ones over and over. If you've ever voiced an ad for Hulu you'll probably get annoyed at how often they actually run. Still they don't annoy me enough to remember to upgrade to ad-free. And actually, since I'm not bombarded with "TV" every day, it's part of my keeping up on commercial trends.

There are a TON of free aps that will get you all the broadcast news stations on a Roku or an Amazon Firestick. Many cable stations have their own free apps as well. With some you won't get exactly what's airing but unless it's something really current, do you really need to?

And there's this https://cordcuttingreport.com/2018/04/13/msnbc-live-stream/
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. An HD antenna won't work for me (for several reasons), so it appears that I should also begin looking for a good internet service provider (FiOS isn't available where I am) so I can finally rid myself of having to deal with a cable TV company. I'm led to believe that satellite internet is "iffy" and frustrating to deal with, too, so I'm hoping my internet options aren't too limited.

chuckweis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the feedback you're looking for, but I ditched Dish a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. I do have cable for internet, which is the lifeblood of my TV viewing.

I went to total streaming since leaving Dish and have tried basically every streaming service out there. I still wanted that cable/satellite feel with a program guide and watching "live" TV.

I did a trial of Hulu + Live TV, and it was decent enough. I really like Sony Playstation Vue (which works on any streaming device) and Directv Now though. Any package with MSNBC in it is usually in the cheapest offering around 40 bucks....and the picture quality is every bit as good as my Dish was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: