VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One year "in the biz"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: One year "in the biz" Reply with quote

--

Last edited by tackerman on Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Happy anniversary! May 2007 be filled with even more success. (I'm sure it will.)
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes for the future, Tom. From an elderly and frail man a few random thoughts.

16 years of lessons learned

1990 – No matter what you believe there is nothing better than speaking to the decision makers and getting your demo in front of them.

1991 – Keep looking for those elusive new clients and keep your existing clients happy.

1992 – Aim high as the person you know will say “No” may surprise you and say yes.

1993 – Get to know the people who work alongside your clients and producers as most will be the clients of the future. Get to know them, DON’T network them.

1994 – Don’t work for nothing but be prepared to make a loss as in the long term the loss will prove to have been an investment.

1995 – Steer clear of the gossips, moaners and negs. You believe you are able to rise above them but in truth you will catch yourself stooping to their level and one day you’ll moan about the wrong person to the wrong person.

1996 – When someone gives you tip it’s usually because they’ve been given a better one. Good or bad, always say thank you and never say “I knew that” even if you did.

1997 – Do the jobs you hate doing as often as possible. Master those and when the jobs you love come along your star will shine brightly.

1998 – Don’t become a Voice Over bore, most people really don’t care. To be interested one first must become interesting.

1999 – Wise up to the users. Introduce the word “No” into your vocabulary and learn to use it without malice, vitriol or bitterness.

2000 – Let people know you are open to offers, work is work. The reason you aren’t being asked could be because people think you are not interested.

2001 – Embrace change but don’t follow the pack. Get better and making what works for you WORK BETTER.

2002 – Are you kidding yourself that one market makes you money or is it just taking more of your time than the profitable jobs? If you think something is not worth the effort you’re probably right – Fortune really does favour the brave.

2003 – Life 1st, Voice Over work 2nd. For some strange reason if you concentrate on the 1st you get more of the 2nd.

2004 – Don’t send wine by the bottle, send it by the case. Most of the people for whom you work do not earn $300 per hour. A “Thank you” package can really make someone’s day.

2005 – Set yourself goals and stick to them. If the goals don’t make you think “I’m not sure if I’ll …..” they’re to low.

2006 – If you want to play, enjoy. If you want to get somewhere as a Voice Over you have to earn the right to play and it takes serious commitment. Be nice, be approachable, be easy to work with, be honest even when tempted to do otherwise. It’s worth bearing mind that people don’t have to like you they have to hire you.

2007 – To anyone who got this far. May yours be happy, healthy, peaceful, prosperous and full of dreams come true.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip,

As always, a full load of...valuable insights. Thank you. May I quote you?
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
Philip,

As always, a full load of...valuable insights. Thank you. May I quote you?

Feel free.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In re Philip's 2006:

If I have learned one thing in this line it's that it pays to be a nice guy. Nothing is more valuable than a great reputation—and nobody ever needs to hire an jerk more than once.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
In re Philip's 2006:

If I have learned one thing in this line it's that it pays to be a nice guy. Nothing is more valuable than a great reputation—and nobody ever needs to hire an jerk more than once.

Lots of people believe the saying "It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice" to be hackneyed, trite and not for them - How wrong they are! Even in the most difficult circumstances it is possible to make a point without being thoroughly disagreeable. Most producers and directors have enough stress without having a Voice over adding to it .........All together now

"Even when the darkest clouds are in the sky
You mustn't sigh and you mustn't cry
Spread a little happiness as you go by
Please try"
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Paravonian (of the Youtube Pachelbel Rant) had an interesting story about this

http://paravonia.blogspot.com/2006/08/i-figured-out-why-actors-are-phonies.html
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best to you Tom in '07.

Banksey, that list of yours is awesome. Thank you.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good year for you, Tom. Congratulations. Just be sure to get in that 500th VO-BB post before midnight tomorrow to round things out numerically.

And thanks, Phillip, for more of your always-spot-on advice. I immediately recognized an important lesson for myself in 1997 -- do the jobs you hate as often as possible. I'm taking that to heart starting right now.
tammymcd
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Congrats and thank you Reply with quote

CongratulationsTom and Banksey - as always thank you for your wonderful lessons. I'm printing them out and putting them on my wall. I wish all of you my VO-BB family a New Year full of Love, Happiness, Gratitude and Prosperity. I may not always post, but I do read them quite often and you always give me information I can use and am grateful for. Bless you all.

cool Tammy
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
16 years of lessons learned

Wow Banksey! If I could add one more:

Never be afraid to ask (nicely) for something. Its amazing how much you will get. You will get none of what you DON'T ask for.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
2000 – Let people know you are open to offers, work is work. The reason you aren’t being asked could be because people think you are not interested.

DaveChristi wrote:
Never be afraid to ask (nicely) for something. Its amazing how much you will get. You will get none of what you DON'T ask for.

Superb advice which recently proved well worth following. Reprinted here from my blog:

Opportunity does knock, but sometimes --- no, make that all the time --- you need to flip the script and go knocking on opportunity’s door.

I was looking through online job postings a short while back when I saw an ad looking for “freelance writers with an expertise in gaming”. Now, while I do fancy myself a decent writer and have played more than my share of videogames over the last, um, two decades or so, this wasn’t really the kind of gig I was looking for. However, one of the job duties in the ad caught my eye:

“…Drafting a script for our voice talent.”

I immediately drafted an email asking if that voice talent would be hired directly, and stating that if so, I’d be ready and available. I think my query took them by surprise, but it led immediately to an audition and --- one week later --- a gig. I’ll be voicing tutorials for a number of highly popular online games (including some MMORPGs, for those of you who speak “gamer”).

It just goes to prove the adage that you’ve got to go find the gigs; to sit around hoping that they’ll find you is to very nearly ensure that they won’t.

Many thanks to Dave and Philip!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Tom... may 2007 find you at your best.
Thank you Philip for the many lessons learned and words of wit and wisdom.
I thank all of you for the advice and knowledge, freely given through the threads of the VO-BB.
And when you hold your glasses high to toast the New Year...
... let those who are wise remember... Htnet yraunaj no si yadhtrib ym.
Wink
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!yeliab ot yadhtrib ylrae yppah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: