VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fascinating update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Fascinating update Reply with quote

Some of you may remember my mentioning some time ago about the variety of noise that can spontaneously erupt here and which is out of my control. One of the examples I gave was what I believed to be occasional munitions testing at either McGuire Air Force base, Fort Dix or the Lakehurst Naval Air Station (site of the 1937 Hindenburg crash).

Well, I was almost right. But it's not munitions testing... it's munitions training. They're playing with Howitzers. And, that it suddenly began again two days ago and continues into the night... makes me wonder if there's something we should know.

MikeN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near Ft. Worth JRB (Joint Reserve Base) and haven't noticed any increased activity with the exception of the Texas ANG (commonly known as the "weekend warriors") flying their training runs. The fact that McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst is a Joint Base (i.e. Active Duty) would mean there are more active training exercises there, including live fire.

I know this only because I spent 30 years as an Aeronautical Engineer at Lockheed and other contractors surrounding the base. You kinda get to know how things roll.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an Air Guard base in this part of Oregon and they’re a primary response unit for foreign incursions from the Northern Pacific. We don’t hear them often, but when we do multiple jets will kick in the afterburners over our part of town. On a cloudy day that’s quite a roar. Makes me wonder who they’re racing to greet out there.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joint Base Lewis McChord up here seems to be business as usual from what I've seen. No flurry of extra activity. I have a niece and nephew who live very close and they're quick to complain when things get loud.
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently. the truest metric of fecal matter getting real in the US is the rise in pizza deliveries to the Pentagon. It's up there with the Waffle House Disaster Index.
MikeN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe Egan wrote:
Apparently. the truest metric of fecal matter getting real in the US is the rise in pizza deliveries to the Pentagon. It's up there with the Waffle House Disaster Index.

Laugh Laugh Laugh You owe me a keyboard.

I was a contractor at Lockheed in Ft Worth during 9/11. Every entrance was barricaded and had several Airmen with AR-15's poised and takeoffs and landings of F-16's and B-52's were nearly 24/7. I had to show ID twice entering and leaving and pass through 3 different entrances to get to my desk. It was quite the spectacle even though it was such a serious time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: