VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May I have your critique please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrandonVO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: May I have your critique please? Reply with quote

https://voca.ro/12V8cNTBpqak

I recorded that just now, how does it sound? Apart from the mouth noises, (I recorded it at home)
Thanks
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to find something other than that online voice recorder.

The commercial copy is so very announcer-focused. Yes, announcer spots do exist, but they can be done without sounding like a throwback to what is sometimes referred to as the puking announcer. Every word is just thrown out of the mouth. I also had a hard time understanding the first few words...until the part about calling collect came on.

The radio station promo copy needed some more umpf. Ultimately it would have music mixed in of course, but it just felt flat.

Are you taking the time to truly listen to "good" voiceover work? You must be able to tell the difference between not-so-good and really good. Visit websites of working talent and listen to their demos. Hear their variety in energy, pacing and type of copy. There are many different genres of VO, so at some point you need to be comfortable about where your voice will fit best. Listen to a lot of different demos and even talk back to them as you listen - you can do that like you were teaching yourself the lyrics to a song - let the sound go in your ears and right out your mouth. Give yourself time to get used to this idea. It could be helpful in helping you figure out what kind of copy you are best suited for.

You could also listen to the submissions at Edge Studio's Monthly Audition contest - there you will hear a lot of people reading the same copy - THIS is a great way to start to tell what is good from what is not-so-good (sometimes mostly not-so good!). Create a free account there to listen.

I do not always agree with who is selected as the "winners", but the point is to listen to a bunch of people reading the same copy and see if you can hear which are "better"...understanding that the difference between good and great is somewhat subjective. But the difference between not-so-good and who hit the mark is important to be able to identify - so that you can apply it to your own reads. And also listen to the recording sound and technique. Most of the people entering are just exploring and they don't have good quality spaces in which to record.

https://edgestudio.com/monthly-audition-contest/
https://edgestudio.com/monthly-audition-contest-archive/
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be more of a geographical issue than a vo quality issue. One of the dangers with the internet is it has the illusion that all are created equal. They are not. Acting and vo advice from one country may not be appropriate for another. Same can be said about genres of vo here in the states. Getting vo advice outside of your area might not benefit you.

However, one thing is a constant no matter where one is. Ya need to be a great actor and have great recording equipment. You are asking for your recordings to be judged on a vo forum. Put location aside. Just surf some of the top vo agents here in the states and listen to their talent. Compare to you and your recordings. You don't need others to express where you are and what you need. You can tell the differences yourself.

Now, as I said, standards in your market might be different. I suggest seek out vo talent/pages on other social media platforms with others in Sri Lanka. I also suggest acting classes. With Covid most if not all in LA/NY/CHI are on line. Now, you have to deal with time zone differences, but if this is something you really want, you will do whatever it takes. Check out https://ruskinschool.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon, we have an expression you probably have heard before, "you're barking up the wrong tree", meaning in this case you're looking in the wrong place for answers. We are a meeting place for people who record professional narrations, commercials, characters in cartoons and video games, audiobooks and more.

We are NOT a place to try out for a radio announcer's job. Every one of your samples you've posted here are of a very inexperienced nature. You do not improve from demo to demo. And the technical quality is very poor, this one being the worst yet.

In my opinion you are asking the wrong people in the wrong place. You need to find someone or some radio station in your own country that will offer you training. I wish you all the best in your quest.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon, don't get discouraged by any of these posts. Here's the deal. This is a business chock full of people who will tell you what you want to hear, rather than be honest. Sugar coating to make someone feel good is far more cruel than honesty. Those who stand a chance in a business where very few succeed will take these honest critiques and run with them. They will do whatever it takes to be great. Not to work, but to be great. Those who are great stand a better chance of working. There are too many out there who will tell an actor what they want to hear just to make a buck on them. And there are a small few who risk someone being pissed off at them by being truthful. I myself have never cared if a student liked me or not. I care that they do well.

And you have this miraculous machine called a computer to research what great means. Just listen to the demos of great voice actors, and stop posting what you are guessing might be right. You are not ready to post. You need to study, train, learn. You need to get demo and post ready. You are asking how things sound without really knowing how they should sound. All of us were in your shoes at one time in our career. I didn't have the internet to rely on for research. You do. Take advantage of it. But what you are asking now is like putting a band-aid on a boo boo and asking a bunch of doctors how your skills as a doctor are.
BALKY
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY GOD, like 15 years ago I had the same text as my commercial sample. THe only difference is I produced it with music and such...

Such a flashback!

I still have this one somewhere on my hard drive Smile
Greeting: https://vimeo.com/216249549
Source-Connect: voservices
VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/channels/russianvoice
AUDIO: http://audio.russianvoice4u.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: