VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something To Chew On, Then Spit Out?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Something To Chew On, Then Spit Out? Reply with quote

Since A.I. was brought up here I thought this article clipping might be of interest. It's from the Kiplinger Newsletter, a major source of financial/investment information. It's always intriguing and quite frustrating when a writer writes about an industry they've only partially researched. A lot of assumptions are made and spewed out as fact. None the less, here's what's being touted about our potential digital opponent to some less than savvy investors. As always, your thoughts are welcome!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admittedly, i am often difficult to use - but i've never gotten $10k out of an audio book either.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of narration by major personalities, no one pays $10K for a standard length audiobook read. Plus with an AI book you still need QC, editing, mastering, and correction of misread words.

I’d like to hear one of these fancy AI programs read something with the pacing and nuance of a human being. They can’t be there yet. Remember the movie Blade Runner with the replicants performing everyday jobs? You could tell, and it was creepy.

B

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AI teaching me to fly? It's a utility and it will work fine.
AI telling me about the joy of the first solo flight?

Crtl +Shift + type M E C will make the AI voice sound like it is making eye contact with the listener. Not happening.

The reason that most voiceover people are seeing a downturn in workload because of AI is due to the fact they are selling their voices as a utility not a personality.

When AI cares or has a director comment "Wow! You can hear the twinkle in the eyes" then and only then I done for!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I thought I'd dig a bit deeper into each of the companies the author of the newsletter clip mentioned but didn't explore:

DeepZen.com is a pure translation from digital print to AI audio service. I listened to their "Voices". "Todd's" fiction demo had an oddly paced description of a character that sounded more like a grocery list than colorful fiction. The big surprise? Their narrator "Edward's" fiction demo was clearly, to me, Edward Hermann's voice STOLEN and REPURPOSED. His read was not as wooden but was still annoyingly irregular. How much is their service? If you want the full treatment as you might get with a standard audiobook production house, it's $129 per finished hour, plus a $69 fee to set up some form of distribution, and a $25 annual fee for continued distribution.

Descript is not an audiobook narration company. They offer an online recording service for people who want to make their own videos such a podcasts or informational videos. They also turn spoken words into text.

Pozotron is a weird one. It's an AI service that just performs Quality Control on the audio you send them and sends you a report. They also offer pronunciation help. But that's it.

Scribe Audio offers no samples, no rates, just a bit of puffery about their abilities. Speaking of puffery, here's the copy on the first page of their website:

Quote:
The Gutenberg of Audiobook Production is Here.
Get your backlist converted to audio for as low as 1% of studio cost. Hollywood class voice actors, crisp high fidelity audio and turnaround in days, not weeks.

I've written to ask for samples and with general interest. We'll see.

Lastly, Speechki. The name is probably derived from the home city of this company, Omsk in Siberian Russia. No good samples or clear pricing in the website, and if you want any information they insist you have a 30 minute phone conversation with one of their staff. Uh, no.

With what samples I could hear, I believe these services are for buyers who think this inferior (compared to professional narrators) service is GOOD ENOUGH for their customers.

B

Tim Bick

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does AI know when and for how long to pause? Does AI know how to drag the length of a word out? Can it accentuate specific words in a specific way? And a million other tiny human things? This kind of reminds me of when all the drummers (I used to be one) panicked about the rise of the drum machine. Yes it replaced a specific sector of work, but to get a really good drum track you still need a good drummer to programme the thing.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND don't get me started on mastering the mystery that is the Iranian Double-Pause!
Tim Bick

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve heard it done and still didn’t quite comprehend what I had heard. Extraordinary.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to master the Iranian Double Pause. So farsi so goodsi.

B

Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'bleep, blorp.' $10k please!

Seriously though.

I remember doing morning radio and what our consultant would tell us, everytime, is that CONNECTING with people, having personality, being relatable to your audience is what winning shows do.
Doing a vapid 'morning zoo' or prank calls doesn't translate to long-term success. Being a human does.

Obviously that doesn't slide right over to Voice acting but I think the point is still valid.
People will always want to be moved by words and the right actors delivering those words bringing the 'feels'. The AI will have it's place and not all jobs will totally need a human to spit into the microphone for 'em but there's space for both.
And when they DO use AI, it'll be a lot like the 'Uncanny Valley' with CGI graphics in movies and TV shows. They'll hear the AI voice but something won't quite seem right to them either consciously or otherwise. And THAT will affect the message trying to be delivered as the end-user will here something that's not quite sitting right with them and completely miss the emotive reason of the message.
Words!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talimogene Laherparepvec, Empagliflozin, Ustekinumab ...

go for it AI.

Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ustekinumab. I've got a little PTSD from all the times I said that in a pharma Important Safety Information video.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but I tried those four drug names with IBM's Watson computer, and it did a pretty good job. I didn't research the proper pronunciations, but it sounded very reasonable to me. Of course this is the computer that has defeated world chess champions.

B

todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not so much the words themselves (as you know) it's using them in a sentence - in context - and making it sound like you know what they mean (even when you don't)

i'm sure Ai will get there - but - hopefully - i'll be dead by then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: