VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why mixers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: why mixers? Reply with quote

So when I look at pics of some higher end VO studios, I see lots more equipment than I can imagine one needing. Mixers for example. Why would a VO need a mixer? Last I checked I had only one voice and any mixing with music or SFX could be done inside the coputer.

Just curious....
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. If you have only one mic, then a preamp or processor is all you need. I have my mic into the symetrix processor and then to the computer input. I do have a mixer for a podcast and mixing multiple instruments every now and then.

Now, I have more than one mic and my mixer will do "return/send. That means the signal goes from the mixer to the symetrix and back to the mixer and out to the computer. Either way works.
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a handy way to load multiple elements into the computer without having to constantly mess with cables. It's also convenient for monitoring different sources (CD, DAT, cassette, mic, phone patch, etc.).
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, for those who are technically challenged, and need phantom power into a less than "professional" sound card - a mixer can supply both the phantom power and the mic pre.

Also, have you ever tried to get audio from vinyl ( a "record") into your PC/Mac? An LP or "45" won't fit in the CD/DVD player. So you need some way of getting it into the DAW. Cassette tape (ever heard of any of these items - or even seen one?), Reel-to-Reel tape, mini-disc's, etc. all have to have some way to get the audio information they contain into your computer.

A mixer, does just what it's name implies, mixes numerous analog inputs into your "analog converter" (sound card) which then re-creates the audio information into a digital format. And, amazingly enough, the mixer can use more than one input at a time.

Mixer's are for the most part, "Old School", but they do have their place. Especially in environments where multiple mic's or sound sources are required and need to be operating at the same time.

So far, I have not figured out how to get vocalists to sing in digital formats. Or, the horn section to do digital from the outset, but I will, maybe... maybe not...

Toodles

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do ISDN broadcasts as well as sessions, so I have transmission and reception through my board.
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 12input mackie for 1mic, 3 synthesizers, 2 drum machines, monitoring, cd playback. I'm a do more radio imaging than VO work so I use the instruments to make my own sound effects and music beds. The standard efx libraries are ok but I like to make my own custom lazer-zips-zaps and doo dadds...

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do more radio... = I'm do more radio....

sorry,

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: