VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Workable phone patch for the budget-minded

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Workable phone patch for the budget-minded Reply with quote

I noticed this listing on eBay and thought that some here might be interested. I picked up an older model (TMP-636) a couple of years ago and I just tested it again and it seems to do the trick. I don't do a great deal of phone patch stuff, so I couldn't justify buying a Gentner or even a Symetrix TI-101. On those rare occasions I need to, I'll admit that I often just use a telephone headset to hear the director, but this does work both ways and at the very least it enables me to play audio back down the line for the producer to hear. (There's also the added benefit - legalities notwithstanding - of being able to record both sides of your telephone conversation with the cable company, credit card company, telemarketers, ex-spouse, ex-spouse's lawyer...)

Anyway, I have mine patched into my mixer so I can route the phone as needed by either patching it pre-fader if I just want to hear the director or just panning it opposite the clean mic if I want to record the director as well, for later reference.

Here's the eBay listing.
I can't vouch for the vendor, but his feedback looks good.

And here's a .pdf of the 2 page manual, such as it is.

This is the earlier model I have, but the one on eBay is virtually identical from what I can tell.

Just thought it might be worth the $15.99 as an experiment for some of you, if nothing else.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Don...looks like a good gadget to have on hand...and the price is certainly right!
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about phone patches, but my mic is USB, and I've not seen one that would work with it.
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here have experience using digital phone service with phone patches? I use Vonage for my home and I'm concerned about the quality, especially with dynamic bandwidth changes .

The Voice of Bob
MuseVox
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's late and I'm technologically frustrated, so archive diving I went.

Vonage and phone patch comments, anyone?

~Sarah
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's see how simple we can make this.

Vonage and a phone-patch? Since Vonage is VOIP, first you will need braodband internet. Then with the Vonage router in place, you will need to find a way to tap the audio from the phone to get it in to the computer. Due to the way Vonage is designed this can be difficult. however, I believe Vonage is trying to set up a recording side, which may or may not be in place as of this post. But it will be remote (away from your PC and you would download the file from the internet).

Then there is Skype: (for best quality, you will need broadband interent)

Skype to Skype calling - better than phone quality, (GIPS audio codec)

Skype to phone - a little less than standard phone quality, due to the conversion of audio codecs. (iLBC audio codec)

Record Skype calls - MX Skype (www.skyperec.com), Pretty May (http://www.prettymay.net/), Pamela Call Recorder (www.pamela-systems.com/ ), Skylook (http://www.skylook.biz/), etc.

Now you will need to have the ability to hear and send the audio through your sound card, hear specifically on headphones - no speakers. Most of these recording softwares record to a special file.

MX Skype actaully records to a file with the ability to have incoming audio on one track (mono) and outgoing audio on another track (mono) and combines these into one stereo track. When editing, seperate the tracks to Left and Right in the multitrack time line and you have seperated audio.

The above is the 'up' side. The downside? Unless you are recording your side of the audio into your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) you cannot playback anything to your client unless you stop the call.

Playback down the phoneline can also be tricky with Skype. It can be done, but there are definate problems with it.

Hope that helps, or at least confuses you more...

Toodles

F2
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
OK, let's see how simple we can make this.

Sounds like we really need your iSpeek, Frank!
jeffk13057

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iSpeek...iSpeek...iSpeek...iSpeek...
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gang... the thoughts help.

F2
Joe Whistler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuseVox wrote:
It's late and I'm technologically frustrated, so archive diving I went.

Vonage and phone patch comments, anyone?

~Sarah

For VOIP, we have Sunrocket - same principle as Vonage. Our Sunrocket feed is tapped in to the old copper phone wiring, so that any phone plugged in works just like a regular phone.

Our phone patch (Symetrix TI-101) is routed into the standard phone wiring. The audio quality is as good as any VOIP line will get. Not always perfect...not something you'd want to record off of, but it allows remote monitoring of the recording chain.

For $200/yr, Sunrocket can't be beat! (By the way, if any of you look into Sunrocket and decide to sign up, and would like to be kind, you can tell them I referred you which rewards me with some kind of referral points :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: