VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Major Problem with Audio Skips!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Major Problem with Audio Skips! Reply with quote

Hi everyone! New here, but I recognize some of your names and voices! Smile I have an ongoing issue that is becoming unworkable. I have skips in my audio that are completely random and intermittent, and I need to know what to heave out the window! Here's the (loooong) story:

This has happened on multiple computers, including fresh out of the box, with nothing except Adobe Audition loaded on them, as well as jam packed ones with a million things running in the background.

This is just as likely to happen on a restart of the computer or a restart of Audition as it is after running for 3 days and recording 3 hours of audio.

It sometimes happens once at the beginning of a long piece and never again and sometimes happens every 30 seconds or more through a shorter piece.

I have defragged, I have separated my temp files onto a new external hard drive, I have adjusted my buffer settings in Audition (and then was told on an Audition board that the defaults are best for a powerful computer). I AM LOST!

I use Audition, a Presonus Eureka Preamp (again, it's happened on multiple pre-s), and a Presonus Firebox audio converter (has happened with this and with a soundcard on my old setup) I do not get any dead air. The skip butts the audio right up against itself, so it cannot be a cable issue...or else the computer would be recording a space of dead air where the cable "cut out." I have a sample of the problem posted on my site at the bottom of my demos page (the word "skip" is the link) at www.MelissaVoiceover.com I will love forever whomever can solve this blasted problem for me!!!!!!!! Thank all of you lovely people in advance!

http://www.melissavoiceover.com/AudioFiles/Skip.wav
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I may ask, what were the specs of these systems that you used it on?
and also what the HW list was for the computers.

It'll go a long way towards figuring this out, although after listening to your damaged clips, I have a thought or two regarding the issue.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP computer
Windows XP Home 2002
Service Pack 2

Pentium 4 CPU 3.80GHz
1.00GB of Ram

Is that what you needed??

I feel like I'm the only person out there with this problem. I even installed another audio program to test it and it still skipped. I dont' understand.
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I have wondered if this could be related to my computer network. I am networked to another computer wirelessly (I am the hardwired one) and I store my audio files on that computer) We also have TIVO's hooked to the network.

Do you guys record audio on a comptuer that is actively hooked to the internet/virus protection, etc? I don't see a practical way of reording audio/sending audio and getting emails and scripts without being on the internet...and even if I used an external workstation, I'd have to dump stuff to a memory stick to upload it to ftps or email it or whatever...and with the amount of work I do in a day, that'd be a pain, so I hope that's not the answer.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa, welcome to vo-bb!

I had a similar problem with Cool Edit Pro - the precursor to Adobe Audition. Try playing with the buffer settings in AA and see if that helps. In CEP the settings are under Options - Settings - System. It is probably the same in AA.

I also have set up a separate account on my computer for recording purposes. It is not connected to the internet and has nothing in the startup folder so that when I run CEP, that's really all that is running.

Doing both these things has ensured that I no longer have skips in the audio.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, there are a lot of factors that could cause these issues.

if your hearing this during trakking then it's an interference issue somewhere between your mic, the cable, your pre, and the computer (not unheard of on an 802.11B network, but not as common on an 802.11G network).

Turn off your WiFi card and give it a shot... if nothing happens then you've got your cause and you need to find a workaround (use 802.11G and change the broadcast channel).

If not, then the first things I would check out would be your sound card drivers and your HD (if it's not at 7200RPM or better, it might be an issue). After that I'd start to take a look at the BIOS, which might need an update and then looking at a better sound card (especially if you're using one that's integrated to the mobo).

These are just starters, but they're my usual problem children when setting up a new space.

If not, then you're looking at some program settings, and some more in-depth analysis is needed.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Edo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Melissa and welcome to the board!

Probably the first thing you might want to try is to record with nothing external unneccesary stuff hooked to your computer. Make absolutely sure there is a common point where all electronic equipment is earthed from the mains. If mains leads are in seperate sockets, there can be big differences in the voltage between all earthing points. This not only is nasty... it can be pretty dangerous too. I listened to your audio sample, and by hearing that it looks like something is just occupying your PC when recording. This could mean lots of unwanted activity on you processor when it really is supposed to be busy doing the recording. Also check whether this happens when you use lower graphic mode on your monitor.

Hope it helps!
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Major Problem with Audio Skips! Reply with quote

MelissaVoicer wrote:
Hi everyone! New here, but I recognize some of your names and voices! Smile

Hi Melissa.

Sorry, I can't really help with your problem, but I was suprised to read that you were new here! For some reason I thought you had been here all along and had moved across with the rest of us after the collapse of the old board.

Welcome back.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
MelissaVoicer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike! I've just been so darn busy juggling everything between kids, work, house, PTA, karate, etc...that trolling the boards became a luxury I couldn't afford. I'm sorry to say that, and I'm very glad to be back among you wonderful folks! I look forward to many a discussion! Smile I'm starting to think that I did know about this board or was here towards the beginning, but my last pregnancy erased a lot of my memory (kind of like my computer, perhaps).

BTW, I had a NICE discussion with Frank F last night (thanks again, Frank) and I "think" (she types, hopefully) he may have fixed me up on the whole "too much crud going on and buffers not set right" stuff. So keep your fingers crossed!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MelissaVoicer wrote:
I'm starting to think that I did know about this board or was here towards the beginning, but my last pregnancy erased a lot of my memory .

I'm pretty sure you did know~!
And I know I have mised you.

But I certainly understand about the pregnancy effect.
It does wacky things to your body chemistry. My kids took the curl OUT of my hair.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer wrote:
Try playing with the buffer settings in AA and see if that helps.

I think this is the key to a lot of the problems Audition users experience.

Glad to hear it's fixed - and welcome to the board!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: